need to add either CDO or telnet to PE

dcopenhaver

Hello,

I'm working on a deployment project that I have done a lot of scripting for. Its a deployment system using MDT and WDS. A lot of this takes place in WinPE (2.0 I believe). The MDT tools create the PE image, which includes support for WSH, WMI, and ADO. Now I have a need to send an email from my script which if I were not in WinPE I would use CDO for. However CDO is not available in winPE. My alternative idea is to script a telnet.exe session directly with the SMTP server using vbscript's shell.exec functionality, but telnet.exe is not in the WinPE image either... I tried simply adding the telnet.exe file to the winpe image but it doesn't run... no error, just doesn't run. So thus far since MDT has done all the heavy win pe lifting for me I have not had a need to really dig into how to customize it... now I need to know.

how do add applications to the winPE image? I would love to add CDO support (available as an MSI download) but I'm assuming it will be easier to get the simple telnet.exe command line tool working?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Its late in this project for me to have to start digging into the guts of winPE... I will, but time is not on my side so if I can just get telnet working quickly that would be great. I would continue digging into pe then so I can keep optimizing as time goes on.