Wireless connection behaving weird

Larbac

Hi all,

I have Asus laptop with Intel Pro/Wireless card 3945ABG network card running the latest drivers and I am connecto to a Netgear router.

My problem is that I have a 20MB internet connection and when I run a speed test (www.speedtest.net) I get very odd results.

If i am wired directly to Modem - 19800MB

IF I am wired to the router - 15500MB

If my I use my wireless connection - 5400MB very very little.

I did the same test with a Dell Inspiron 6400 and I got same results but on the wireless test I got 15000MB. So something is wrong with my wireless connection but i dont know what. I unistalled the wireless card and drivers and Intel applications. reboot computer and it auto detect new hardware and installed using windows XP tool and still i get the same results. I have bring my router to factory defaults if case problem was with any IP routing but still I have no results. I tried with antivirus and firewall off anf the results are the same.

What can this be? Will I have to format my OS?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Larbac

Unfortunately there is not enough information to answer your question.. We would need to know what router (and thus the capabilities of that router) you are using and the wireless adapter that is in the dell.

The adapter you listed seems to be a built in adapter for a laptop that is a/b/g compatible (54mbps max speed)

There could also be something going on because all your test results are faster than you listed connection:

you say you got a 20MB connection yet:

However, all that aside, the probable issues you have is that that wireless adapter is not able to go any faster, or there is something wrong with antenna/adapter it's self.

Unfortunately there is not enough information to answer your question.. We would need to know what router (and thus the capabilities of that router) you are using and the wireless adapter that is in the dell.

The adapter you listed seems to be a built in adapter for a laptop that is a/b/g compatible (54mbps max speed)

There could also be something going on because all your test results are faster than you listed connection:

you say you got a 20MB connection yet:

However, all that aside, the probable issues you have is that that wireless adapter is not able to go any faster, or there is something wrong with antenna/adapter it's self.

Thanks for your reply..

Well I have the exact same adapter on the DELL. just that Dell is running on Vista.

All the other PC on the house run fine... Execpt for mine. and only when I am connected wireless.. so i believe it could be one of two... or someting on my wireless card or someting with the pc.. i will try a driferent wireless card.. as those era built in .. its easey to replace..

but its very strange.. isn.t?