Installing SP1 fault, and also sfc/ scannow problem

xhale2007

Hi guys.

Been having problems with my wireless connection as per my other post.

Now i read that going to a command prompt, then typing sfc/ scannow would in some instances cure my problem.

Well i ran the scan and the results came up as showing corrupted files, unable to repair. It shows me a log of the scan, but i cannot see anything on there that makes sense to me, as im not very computer orientated to say the least.

What do i need to do?

The next problem that maybe linked is..

I tried installing SP1 as it came up as an update today. Got to stage 2 of 3 and restarted. Then started doing what looked like a file check and it got to about 5000/75000 and stop on setup.cfg with a code like 01xc00000 or something. I rebooted and it did the same.

I ran start up repair and restored to prior to installation and its fine, but obviously i now cannot install sp1

Any ideas guys?? If you need more info fire away

Hi guys.

Been having problems with my wireless connection as per my other post.

Now i read that going to a command prompt, then typing sfc/ scannow would in some instances cure my problem.

Well i ran the scan and the results came up as showing corrupted files, unable to repair. It shows me a log of the scan, but i cannot see anything on there that makes sense to me, as im not very computer orientated to say the least.

What do i need to do?

The next problem that maybe linked is..

I tried installing SP1 as it came up as an update today. Got to stage 2 of 3 and restarted. Then started doing what looked like a file check and it got to about 5000/75000 and stop on setup.cfg with a code like 01xc00000 or something. I rebooted and it did the same.

I ran start up repair and restored to prior to installation and its fine, but obviously i now cannot install sp1

Any ideas guys?? If you need more info fire away

If the Sfc finds errors, then you need to do a Repair install with your Vista disk, BUT you can't do that if SP1 is installed (you need a Vista SP1 disk to do that).

Assuming you have an aborted install of SP1, I would use System Restore to get back the day before you tried the install and then do a Repair install of Vista. There are numerous tutorials on the Web for showing you what to do. The usual Caveat to back up any data before you do this.

I would also do a CHKDSK /R/F before you do the repair install, if you have corrupted regions on the HD (possible cause of the failure to install SP1) then fixing those is first priority.

Kotuku

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have already restored to previous day, so sp1 is no longer about.

What can i do as i no longer have my vista disk etc as i have moved since? Is there also a way to save all my drivers etc to my external HDD?

Do i just goto command prompt and put chkdsk /r/f ??

WHat if i get failures on this?

Thanks for the help :)

Click the Orb, then ALL PROGRAMS and then ACCESSORIES, Right click on the Command Prompt and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, it will not work if you don't. (as an aside, you can at the right click select PIN TO START MENU and that puts the command prompt always there and easy to get at - you then just right click that and do run as Admin).

Type

CHKDSK /R/F

Note the space after the DSK (last K)

Hit enter and say Yes to do it at next re-boot. Then do a normal restart and it will do the CHKDSK and do all the repairs automatically. It could take a few hours if you have a large HD, watching it is fun <smile>. There are 5 stages. The first goes quick so watch that at least to see if it finds any errors. AT the end it just reboots and you are not sure what it has found and corrected.

hiya

i did a chkdsk last night. the only thing i noticed was deleteing file setup.cfg from $I80 of file 2126

then it recovered orphaned file 2126 and at end said windows has made adjustments to the system

The rest all seemed normal.

:/

Ya'all lost your Vista disk!!! Wow! Well I don't think any disk will do, what do you mean by "any". Pirated Vista disk?

You can't live without your Vista Install disk, so I suggest you bite the bullet and buy a new one and save all your data and do a complete re-install with the new legal disk and then put it somewhere safe!

That gets rid of all your problems, including the lost disk and gets you back to squeaky clean and fast computer.