Windows Vista to XP problem ...

dr.zick

Ok so I bought a new laptop. It came with Vista pre-installed, so I went through the process of installing XP. I had an unattended XP cd from awhile back that I used, but after the install my new XP os is dog slow. When a window is opened, it opens as a white square, then the title bar is drawn, the icons inside are drawn, etc. It has a AMD Turion dual-core RM70 ... and I'm wandering if that has anything to do with it. My unattend cd started as XP corporate edition with SP2. I got 3gigs of ram so it can't be a RAM issue. I'm thinking the processor may require a 64-bit os. Is my assumption correct? Or does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any help offered cause I hate Vista ...

interesting, This happened to me before when I did a nlite version the first time, I thought I might of messed something up, so I just retried it and thought more about what I should do and it worked but I'm not 100 percent sure. But this has happened to me before and I'm sorry I don't remember what I did! I wish I did! Have you tried just installing XP without the Unattended version?

Yes to the high amount of CPU ... I have no idea what driver I'm using, in hardware manager the video controller is a "?" and the properties page shows no driver.

Well, that'd do it. If you uninstall that device from device manager and reboot, does device manager find anything new after the reboot? Also, what laptop is it? You can tell usually what video chip is in the laptop by make/model.