Hotfix streamlining strategy

The way I have updated my ISOs up until know is kind of painful, and somewhat random.

And with SP3 available, it's not working very well, nor quick.

This is how I have done so far:

1. Copy entire original SP2 ISO to harddrive

2. Load nLite and load the latest preset

3. Add SP3

4. Add the new hotfixes to the old ones and start the entire process (time consuming)

5. Save ISO, burn

Occasionally, I tend to mix up the latest preset and instead of loading a clean SP2, a previous disc

is loaded. This causes all kinds of strange behaviour. Firewall is not turned off, WU is set to automatic

regardless of my setting in nLite, I have to run the "Welcome to XP"-guide, and it complains about missing

files (NIC drivers) during the file copy process.

How do you all do it?

For example, I have a copy that works very well, non of the above issues.

How do I just add the updates release during the last week?

Without screwing up drivers, tweaks, patches, settings, etc.

Mannualy, you have the /s switch with updates

This is NOT the same as the one found with service pack, the slipstreaming process of small updates replaces old compressed files with updated uncompressed files,

and modify svspack.inf to launch the update at T-13 (this for ensure that the update is correctly installed with new files and operations on registry)

How do you all do it?

Don't waste time with re-copying the Windows CD and slipstreaming it each time, but instead just keep a pre-slipstreamed install-source on your harddrive and make a copy of it, for each new job.

First copy your install-source to your harddrive:

xcopy E: D:\Temp\XPCD\ /ehq

Change 'E:' to your own actual CD drive and change 'D:\Temp\' to where you would like your 'XPCD' folder created...

Then slipstream latest SP:

wxpsp3.exe /integrate:D:\Temp\XPCD

Then you keep the 'XPCD' folder as a backup and make a copy of it for each new job...

Personally, then i preffer HFSLIP over nLite for the following reasons:

• Open-source and plain cmd-syntax, so i can see exactly what's done and how.
  • Supports more patches than nLite for direct integration.
  • Can be run completely unattended with an answer file.
  • Dosen't need any bloated .NET framework runtimes installed to run.

Then upon each new patch-tuesday, then i just download the new patches direct from MS and double-click a batchfile i have made, which will copy my archived install-source to a temp location and run HFSLIP on it and then make a bootable ISO which is archived for later use...

Edited by Martin H

How do you all do it?

Don't waste time with re-copying the Windows CD and slipstreaming it each time, but instead just keep a pre-slipstreamed install-source on your harddrive and make a copy of it, for each new job.

First copy your install-source to your harddrive:

xcopy E: D:\Temp\XPCD\ /ehq

Change 'E:' to your own actual CD drive and change 'D:\Temp\' to where you would like your 'XPCD' folder created...

Then slipstream latest SP:

wxpsp3.exe /integrate:D:\Temp\XPCD

Then you keep the 'XPCD' folder as a backup and make a copy of it for each new job...

Personally, then i preffer HFSLIP over nLite for the following reasons:

• Open-source and plain cmd-syntax, so i can see exactly what's done and how.
  • Supports more patches than nLite for direct integration.
  • Can be run completely unattended with an answer file.
  • Dosen't need any bloated .NET framework runtimes installed to run.

Then upon each new patch-tuesday, then i just download the new patches direct from MS and double-click a batchfile i have made, which will copy my archived install-source to a temp location and run HFSLIP on it and then make a bootable ISO which is archived for later use...

Thanks for the input, I'll look into it.

I guess I have to familiarize myself with the idea of always starting from a fresh backup every time.