XP USB Hotfix

Ascii2

Click the link at the very top of the KB article, in the section titled "Hotfix Download Available, View and request hotfix downloads". It will take you to a web request form, and you'll get the hotfix URL emailed to you.

I had noticed the link at the top of the page.

The update should be for Windows XP or Windows XP with Service Pack 1.

I reached the hotfix request form.

On the form, all hotfixes are listed as Release "sp2". Do the hotfixes selectable entries from the hotfixes request for work (or should work) for Windows XP with Service Pack 1?

On the form, all hotfixes are listed as Release "sp2". Do the hotfixes selectable entries from the hotfixes request for work (or should work) for Windows XP with Service Pack 1?

This hotfix was included in XP SP2, so yes, it's in SP3 as well.

This hotfix was included in XP SP2, so yes, it's in SP3 as well.

I inquired as to whether the hotfixes were applicable to XP SP1. Also it appears that the x86 English version of the patch is not listed (and it is the one I want).

I inquired as to whether the hotfixes were applicable to XP SP1. Also it appears that the x86 English version of the patch is not listed (and it is the one I want).
Hmm, looks like the English package does not exist for x86, but does for Itanium (ia64). You might want to ring up PSS, although since SP1 is no longer supported, you may not get anywhere.

Any reason you can't run SP2 or SP3?

Hmm, looks like the English package does not exist for x86, but does for Itanium (ia64). You might want to ring up PSS, although since SP1 is no longer supported, you may not get anywhere.
What or who is PSS?
Any reason you can't run SP2 or SP3?
No. SP2 or SP3 should run but yields problems. Edited by Ascii2

What kinds of problems?
Mainly do to Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 2 (and Internet Explorer 7 is much worse) and Outlook Express 6 with Service Pack 2.

One problem is that Created and Modified dates are set locally to the current dates for downloaded files; they do not retain the dates from the servers from which they are acquired from.

Most changes in Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 2 seem quite undesirable and hinder efficiency.

Networking (without modified files) is inferior to that of Windows XP with Service

Also, Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 2 does not work as well with an important financial institution interface I work with.

There are many other, but of lesser importance, reasons (such as restrictions) why Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Service Pack 3 are unacceptable.

• 1 month later...
Hmm, looks like the English package does not exist for x86, but does for Itanium (ia64).
It seens that the English version of the patch does exist but has been removed from the public availability via the Microsft website and disallowed for distribution by Micorost PSS.

The English version of the x86 patch seems to have also once been hosted by Esselbach Internet Solutions at http://www.warp2search.net/contentteller/n..._kb_826959.html , but the dowload link for the file does not work anymore.