Cannot ping to XP32 SP3 lite install

smoke61

Hi all,

I've been trying to create a nice lite install from where I would like to run some servers, but the problem is the servers cannot be seen or joined from the netwerk. I then tried to ping the computer from another computer in de network and it timed out... I then tried it a couple more times with new installations adding more network functionality each time but it didn't work and the servers weren't connectable.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem and which services or component's are responsable for this behaviour?

Thanks in advance

Edited by smoke61

yes, the server, RPC and RPC Locator services are enabled and running. I tried a couple of times more also with the full install without removing any components and it seems the ping problem still exists so I guess it's a problem in my xp install or something with SP3, so I'm trying another version right now to see if this solves the problem....

After trying another version: It seems this problem still exists... could it be an option or some security settings that prevent the system from answering a ping request (it does answer a ping 127.0.0.1 to itself)? because everything else works just fine and I can connect to the internet and browse or anything else, I just can't connect to the computer from another computer.

Edited by smoke61

yes, the server, RPC and RPC Locator services are enabled and running. I tried a couple of times more also with the full install without removing any components and it seems the ping problem still exists so I guess it's a problem in my xp install or something with SP3, so I'm trying another version right now to see if this solves the problem....

After trying another version: It seems this problem still exists... could it be an option or some security settings that prevent the system from answering a ping request (it does answer a ping 127.0.0.1 to itself)? because everything else works just fine and I can connect to the internet and browse or anything else, I just can't connect to the computer from another computer.

Have you tried disabling the builtin firewall? If the firewall is running, I believe ICMP ping requests will be blocked.