More than two DNS for dialup connection?

bizzybody

Is there some way to make XP Pro allow more than two DNS addresses for a dialup connection? The servers at my ISP are having problems, their sysadmin quit and they don't have anyone there who knows beans about fixing them.

I want to add the US servers from The OpenNIC Project http://www.opennicproject.org/en/ to my dialup connection.

The ISP has three dialup phone numbers. Two are slow but most of the sites I visit are usually accessible, but quite often I have to refresh multiple times before it'll quit claiming the server doesn't exist. The third number is plenty quick for dialup but they have something broken to where I can get to only a few sites- NOT including msfn.org, yahoo.com, mail.yahoo.com, (and all the rest of yahoo.com) microsoft.com and many other sites that are virtually never offline.

This is one area where Mac System/OS has been better at networking than Windows. You can enter as many DNS addresses as you want on any TCP/IP connection, dialup or LAN. (Windows since 95 has been able to manage multiple protocols on multiple, simultaneous connections, a feat the "Classic" Mac OS could never do without 3rd party software.)

Try using a batch file to do the deed:

netsh interface ip set dnsserver "Local Area Connection" static 123.45.67.80

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" 123.45.67.81 index=2

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" 123.45.67.82 index=3

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" 123.45.67.83 index=4

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" 123.45.67.84 index=5

Replace "Local Area Connection" with the name of your dial-up network connection name. Also replace the DNS IPs with whatever IPs you need to use.