Vista System Restore 0x80070005 Error

Sithtiger

First I checked this thread Sorry not trying to promote another site: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ss-denied.html

to make sure if any of those things worked and they didn't but my problem is slightly different. When I click on System Restore to do a manual restore it says it's turned off. I don't know how to turn it back on either. Also when I uncheck the Read Only box in the System Volume Information, it doesn't stick. It immediately comes right back. I feel that if I could get this box unchecked I'd be fine.

When I click on System Restore or type in rstrui.exe I get a windows that pops up and says that System Protection is turned off and then when I click on Open System Protection at the bottom the 0x80070005 error comes up. Also where it says Available disks, it says searching.. When I click OK, it says it cannot rescan the disks for the following reason: Access is denied. And yes I'm logged in as Admin....not Admin but I have Admin authority. What gives?? By any chance would Nero Back Up cause this? This is a fresh install of Vista HP x64 and I have a few programs installed but not much. I have 3 HDD's. A 500GB WD SATA, a 250GB Seagate SATA and a 80GB IDE drives. My C: drive is my 500GB SATA drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Oh and I had this problem before SP1 was installed too.

Thanks in advance!

post-190624-1210768910_thumb.png

post-190624-1210768920_thumb.png

post-190624-1210768930_thumb.png

Actually I am using the admin accout but I use Sithtiger. I did however make another Admin account and it did the same thing unfortunately. There are no other accounts other than a guest account. One thing I could try is turning UAC back on. That's the first thing I turned off when I installed Vista for the first time, but I didn't have any problems accessing System Restore. I think one of my programs is causing it...maybe Nero or Perfect Disk Server 2008....not sure which and not absolutely sure it's one of those but I think it might be. I'm gonna try enabling UAC and see what happens.

**EDIT**

Well I tried both adding another Admin account...no dice with the System Restore....did the same thing. Also I tried turning on the UAC again and again nothing.

Edited by Sithtiger

Actually I am using the admin accout but I use Sithtiger. I did however make another Admin account and it did the same thing unfortunately. There are no other accounts other than a guest account. One thing I could try is turning UAC back on. That's the first thing I turned off when I installed Vista for the first time, but I didn't have any problems accessing System Restore. I think one of my programs is causing it...maybe Nero or Perfect Disk Server 2008....not sure which and not absolutely sure it's one of those but I think it might be. I'm gonna try enabling UAC and see what happens.

**EDIT**

Well I tried both adding another Admin account...no dice with the System Restore....did the same thing. Also I tried turning on the UAC again and again nothing.

If you go into the user manager (lusrmgr.msc), you don't have an "administrator" (disabled) account?

If you go into the user manager (lusrmgr.msc), you don't have an "administrator" (disabled) account?

No check out the pic and what it shows. Geez, what does this mean? I don't have any groups and it says the snapin may not be used. Let me know how to fix this if you can can.....thanks.

post-190624-1210785171_thumb.png

No check out the pic and what it shows. Geez, what does this mean? I don't have any groups and it says the snapin may not be used. Let me know how to fix this if you can can.....thanks.

It means you've got Vista home, and can't manage users in a sane way and must use the silly control panel applet. Sigh. If you run system restore as administrator (right-click) do you get the same problem? If so, I'd run process monitor on the machine (again, run as administrator) and see where the "Access Denied" is coming from.

It means you've got Vista home, and can't manage users in a sane way and must use the silly control panel applet. Sigh. If you run system restore as administrator (right-click) do you get the same problem? If so, I'd run process monitor on the machine (again, run as administrator) and see where the "Access Denied" is coming from.

Well I found out the problem was SP1 afterall. I reformatted and reinstalled and I've got all the updates and patches along with all suspect programs. SP1 was the offender. I just d/led the good hotfixes from SP1 without actually d/ling SP1 now and all is well again. Apparently SP1 isn't ready for public use yet!

Well I found out the problem was SP1 afterall. I reformatted and reinstalled and I've got all the updates and patches along with all suspect programs. SP1 was the offender. I just d/led the good hotfixes from SP1 without actually d/ling SP1 now and all is well again. Apparently SP1 isn't ready for public use yet!

You're the first person I've heard of having this issue with SP1, so I'm not sure your assessment is accurate about it not being ready, but it is possible one of the hotfixes that isn't GDR but included in SP1 could cause it.

If you're reinstalling, what happens if you install an actual SP1 copy of Vista?

You're the first person I've heard of having this issue with SP1, so I'm not sure your assessment is accurate about it not being ready, but it is possible one of the hotfixes that isn't GDR but included in SP1 could cause it.

If you're reinstalling, what happens if you install an actual SP1 copy of Vista?

I don't know as I just have Vista without SP1 like most people. I can tell you that when I installed Vista I had no problems with System Restore prior to installing SP1. I did have SP1 installed previously and I believe System Restore was working OK, but I can't say for certain. The only thing I can say for certain is that the programs that I thought could be causing the problem have been cleared. Like I said, I don't think it happens to everyone but it does happen. I can't find the site now but I saw on a forum where someone was stating that SP1 broke System Restore. I didn't believe him until I saw it myself.