Problems with XP SP3

penguin32

Hi, I just installed SP3 using Windows Update (I had XP SP2 Pro fully updated). Everything went fine, I restarted the PC and apparently everything fine after the desktop showed up (no error messages, etc). But after examining my system I found the following changes:

1) The address bar is removed in the main taskbar, so I tried Right clicking on the taskbar > Toolbars> but notice that the Address option has been removed in SP3. Any way to restore it?

2) Old Windows Messenger was reinstalled, so I uninstalled it.

3) Each time I try to open MSN Messenger an install window opens displaying that MSN Messenger is being restored, so I cancel the process and MSN Messenger opens up normally. Any way to prevent this reinstall from opening up each time I open MSN Messenger?

4) If I try to activate Error Checking after reboot (by right clicking "C" drive in My Computer-Properties-Tools-Error Checking) and reboot it won't go thru error checking, it will skip it. How to fix this?

All of the above issues promted me to uninstall SP3 from my system using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and now my PC is back to SP2 and everything restored and working normally. I'd like however to know how to handle the above issues to be able to update to SP3. Thanks.

1. Known issue. You have to create an address bar toolbar elsewhere on the desktop, and then move it to the taskbar. This was purposefully done on the later betas and RTMs for some legal reason.

2. Also happens with the RTM version, always good to uninstall.

3. MSN messenger popping up the MSI install dialog means that some portion of the package is not installed correctly anymore, and as such you should either let the repair finish, or, if it finishes but keeps popping up, remove and reinstall the package to correct this. It's telling you that some part of the app is not installed correctly and may be broken.

4. I've never heard of this one, but what happens if you open a command prompt and run "chkdsk /f c:" (you should get a prompt that you'll need to reboot for that to work). Does that run chkdsk after a reboot?

Are you using a clean build, or was it altered using nLite?

My PC is a Dell, I installed a clean WinXP Pro SP0 OEM (that came with the PC) and then patched it with SP2 (latest official from Microsoft).

1. Known issue. You have to create an address bar toolbar elsewhere on the desktop, and then move it to the taskbar. This was purposefully done on the later betas and RTMs for some legal reason.

2. Also happens with the RTM version, always good to uninstall.

3. MSN messenger popping up the MSI install dialog means that some portion of the package is not installed correctly anymore, and as such you should either let the repair finish, or, if it finishes but keeps popping up, remove and reinstall the package to correct this. It's telling you that some part of the app is not installed correctly and may be broken.

4. I've never heard of this one, but what happens if you open a command prompt and run "chkdsk /f c:" (you should get a prompt that you'll need to reboot for that to work). Does that run chkdsk after a reboot?

1. How do you create an address bar toolbar on the desktop? And then how do you move it to the taskbar? Do you simply drag it? Thanks.

How about this workaround?

http://www.systemsabuse.com/2007/12/27/xp-...bar-go-missing/

3. My MSN Messenger is version 7.5 (not the latest WLM) fully customized with the Plus! package, etc. I'm afraid that by letting the repair finish I might lose the original config...will I? How can I prevent this without having to clean resintall the whole thing?

4. Haven't tested this since as I said I uninstalled SP3.

Edited by penguin32