Vista SP1 install fails

Mordac85

I have a Dell D630 running Vista Enterprise and every time I try to install SP1 it gets to step 3 of 3 (100%) then hits a problem and rolls back. The Event Log is full of these Windows Servicing errors and I'm not making much headway on this.

Error Microsoft-Windows-Servicing 4375 None Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000 () into Staged(Staged) state

Error Microsoft-Windows-Servicing 4375 None Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.1.18000 () into Staged(Staged) state

Error Microsoft-Windows-Servicing 4375 None Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package VistaSP1-KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.0.18000 () into Staged(Staged) state

I have:

• 30GB free disk space
  • Checked the %Temp%/%TMP% paths exist
  • Registered wuapi.dll
  • Renamed/created blank CatRoot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders
  • Used SP1 5 lang pack from MSDN and MS Download Centers
  • Used MSCONFIG to try Clean Boot mode
  • Stopped the AV (TrendMicro)
  • Checked HDD for errors
  • Ran System File Checker tool
  • Ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool

and I'm not any closer to finding a solution/cause for the errors. I tried Windows Updte but it doesn't show that SP1 is available or needed so I'm really confused now. Any help would be much appreciated.

VistaSP1errors.txt

Well, since I've posted this I tried applying the hotfixes mentioned in the event log entries (other than SP1) and I get a message saying the update is not required. Odd, but since I couldn't track down file version info for the ones I was working with I'll assume the update actually was applied, but the system wasn't correctly updated for some reason.

To avoid further complications, I'm doing a wipe and rebuild. Hopefully, I won't encounter this again. If anyone does find a reason/solution, please let me know.