WinPE 2.1 via PXELinux

fischmama

Did anyone ever get the new WinPE to boot via PXELinux? I even follow the post on here to modify the bootmgr to take out the / in front of /Boot/BCD but without success. I am either getting an error that BCD could not be found or that the configuration data could not be read.

BTW I am using Windows 2003 R2 with MS-TFTP and do not have the option to switch to TFTPD32 or others.

Can anybody help me out here? Maybe someone can send me their working BCD/Bootmgr?!

thanks in advance...

I was able to get WinPE 2.1 (included in the newly released Windows AIK) working recently with MS TFTP + pxelinux. One problem I found is that I had to add bootmgr.exe to the tftproot (I was having problems and found Robin's comment on this page). Otherwise, I basically just followed the MS documentation (I skipped the debug section) here: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

I don't know if it matters, but the following commands I made Boot start with an uppercase letter:

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice Boot

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \Boot\boot.sdi

Also, I don't think this matters either, but I added a Fonts folder inside Boot and put wgl4_boot.ttf in it. I renamed pxeboot.n12 to pxeboot.0.

Here's the relevant part of my pxelinux.cfg\default file:

DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0

# Boot WinPE 2.1
LABEL WinPE
KERNEL Boot/pxeboot.0

• 3 weeks later...