Can't override default Promise ultra.sys driver

FUBARinSFO

Hi:

I'm working on an unattended install of Promise Ultra100TX2 drivers in a boot CD install. The problem at the moment is that Windows setup is selecting the older default ultra.sys from drivers.cab as the best compatible driver, rather than the newer ultra.sys I'm trying to install. The rank of the older driver is -x00000003, the rank of the newer driver is 0x00002001, dates are 7/1/2001 and 8/22/2002 bzw. The newer driver is WHQL signed (as the rank shows).

It appears that setup is selecting the older driver based on the lower identifer score (signature scores are identical = 0), but is matching the older driver as device hardware ID matched the hardware ID in the INF Models section, whereas the newer driver is a device compatible ID matched the hardware ID (a less exact match), therefore in the range 0x2000-0x2FFF. I'm thinking the default inf has got some sort of idenfifier that makes it the lowest whatever it's presented with, so that it is virtually assured of beating any newer driver that tries to be installed.

Any light anybody can throw on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-- Roy Zider