Registry Checker

Estam

Newly formatted (2 months) Win2k sp4 on an ASUS 1.8g P4PE 512 ram.

Hi all, I am running a small charting program receiving stock market data over the internet. Every now and a again the charting software programs screen goes blank (White) and needs to be re-started. Application error something to do with mfc42.dll with bunch of computer code under description.

A re-start works fine but now seems to be doing this more often. I googled mfc42.dll hoping to get a later version but the one I have seems to be the latest. Google pointed me to a registry checking software "Uniblue" and after a scan showed 143 invalid registry's .....of course and $29.95 will fix them.

Now, I have used this exact software setup for years without any problems except for this one problem which a re-format and re-installing the software programs fixed it. I am wondering if there is something I'm missing and if anyone has any suggestions. I tried using Win xp sp2, which I use on all my other computers, but the data and trading software much prefers Win2k.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Google pointed me to a registry checking software "Uniblue" and after a scan showed 143 invalid registry's .....of course and $29.95 will fix them.

I'm afraid that I can't be of much help in regards to solving your problem, but please be aware that there are freeware alternatives to scan your Registry for invalid entries and such. Download CCleaner for example, which comes with a Registry cleaner.

Those "registry problems" are probably nothing to worry about, and you certainly don't have to shell out what it says to fix them. Try using CCleaner to scan and fix registry "problems" (usually temporary entries and incorrect shortcuts).

This may not fix you actual problem, but you'll get rid of the "registry problems".

What else does the error message say?

Did you do anything else right before the problem started occurring?

Run Windows Update to make sure Windows has all the latest patches installed.

You could try reinstalling the program only (with the latest updates), to see if that solves your problem.

Also try updating/reinstalling the drivers for your hardware.

These are some general pointers that may or may not fix your problem, but are worth trying.