Dell Vista on another machine

Bad boy Warrior

Im curious to know where i stand with this situation. We purchased a Dell laptop about a year ago. The user cracked the screen 2 weeks ago. The laptop is now out of warranty and we can not replace the cracked screen just yet (until the new financial year at least).

Now if i installed the same copy onto another PC (formatted the original laptop) and it activates, i guess all is fine and ok to use?

Im asking because i've heard a few times, that a specific Vista copy is ONLY for that PC/Laptop then again ive also heard that you purchase one license and if the PC becomes faulty its still your license to use where you feel its fit.

Can anyone confirm whats correct here?

Thanks

The general rule...if the copy of Vista came from Dell already installed on the machine, it's an OEM version tied to that computer and cannot be installed on any other machine.

If, however, you purchased the full retail (not upgrade or OEM) version of Vista, you should be able to completely delete it from one machine and install it on another and not be in violation of the EULA.

Here's the Microsoft licensing website:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Hope this helps.