Hey guys

I just recently took up the position of systems admin from this guy and

there are about 200 computers on this network that are attached to 3 servers,

a net server and two file servers. My question is, when you log on, it

says to

username:

Password:

Log onto:

you cant log in unless the computer is connected to the network but one of the computers

wireless is playing up, how do i get onto the computer and fix the wireless

if its not connected to the network?

Im new to administration,

cheers

Jay

Edited by jmccolm

Hopefully he documented the admin password. Otherwise, you'll have to login as the local machine administrator account after you reset the password offline. You change the username to administrator (hopefully it wasn't renamed), put the password you reset it to offline, and change the log onto to the (local machine) entry.

do i get onto the computer and fix the wireless if its not connected to the network?

Since it's not connected to the network, you will have to physically be at the machine to solve this issue. Log in using a local account with administrative rights or by using a domain account which has administrative rights on the machine in question, but this last option will only work if the credentials are cached locally as the machine is not connected to the network. You could for example also simply connect the machine to the network (wired) and log in with a domain account which has administrative rights.

If you want to solve this issue without connecting to the network via wire, then see the posting by "cluberti" above on how to reset the local administrator password offline. The method he suggests however will not show you the currect password, it simply allows you to change the password. If you need to know the current password, you could use rainbow tables for example to find out.