print access

program usage access - e.g. msn live messenger, yahoo messenger, etc

installation & uninstallation access

file and folder access - no access, read only, read & write only, full control

internet access at a specific time lets say 12pm - 1:30pm

network access - able to access network pc or no access to network pc

website restrictions

download restrictions

The purpose for the profiles on the machines are: an Internet Cafe during 8am-5:30pm, Classes during 6:00pm-8:00pm. so i don't want cafe users to have access to the evening Classes files nor will they have access to printing ( only admin ), so i just want a user name and password window to pop up each time they are trying to access something they don't have access to.

Edited by ideas

Is this a request? If so, then it's in the wrong forum, since this area is for sharing tips, not requesting them. This topic would be better in the forum dedicated to the specific OS, presumably Windows XP?

Assuming windows XP: Are you in a domain environment? If not, then the procedure will be different from if the answer is yes. So give us more info and we'd be glad to try to help you.

:hello:

o_O

Um. are you sure you're up to this? :whistle:

A domain is an alphanumeric name to represent an IP address: for example, the domain of this site is msfn.org. In the sense I was using it, a domain would mean computers grouped together and attached to the same domain, for example, computers.mynet.com. A windows server domain means you have a domain controller that all the computers have an account on, and the users log in to the domain controller through the workstations. Google around a bit to understand. I take it you're NOT on a domain if you don't know what one is.

Mods, can this be moved to XP please?

Anyhow, users: I'd say, you may want to create an unattended install to use on all the machines. TONS of info on that here. If this is too complicated, then you can use the NET USER command in windows xp to set login hours.

Also, for an internet cafe/classroom, I'd suggest using either deepfreeze or windows SteadyState. they let you set an image for the PC that it will reset to every time you reboot, so if customers mess things up, it'll all be back to normal at a reboot. SteadyState, which is free, can also be used to apply some basic group policies to restrict users, as well as other things.

Edited by Idontwantspam

OK, not totally sure what you mean, but again, see the link in my sig, it has all the details you need to apply the policies. As for templates... not really. You just kind of have to look around and see what you want to do. Some time (if I have time) I can make a list of "suggested restrictions" or something like that.

Registry template? Again, not really, but in the post linked to from my sig it links to an excel doc with all the policy registry settings.

e-book? Not that I know of

guides: see link in sig. Or just google it, there's info all over the web, mine's just the best. :rolleyes:

website: Again, google it. or just check out the thing i wrote.

Also, for log on hours:

net user USERNAME

/times:{times | all}
Is the logon hours. The times option is expressed as day[-day][,day[-day]],time[-time][,time [-time]], and is limited to 1-hour increments. Days can be spelled out or abbreviated. Hours can be 12-hour or 24-hour notation. For 12-hour notation, use am, pm, a.m., or p.m. The all option specifies that a user can always log on, and a blank value specifies that a user can never log on. Separate day and time entries with a comma, and separate multiple day and time entries with a semicolon.