Deplying image from a DVD

Snark

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie on with PE, so bear with me ;) I have been reading through the various guides on this site (which have already proved to be much more useful than the MS docs).

I need to create a bootable DVD which, as I understand from the instructions below, will also have the image file stored on it. However, these instructions do not touch on what to do if the image is larger than the DVD's capacity. The image we have is around 10gb. I have managed to split them on the server share, but I am unsure what to do next (or even if it is possible) :) .

Deploy from CD/DVD:

1. First, add the WIM image to your CD/DVD.

a. Repeat the process to create a Windows PE CD to the point where you can add your

own custom files.

b. Add the image WIM file to the ISO folder.

c. Finish the ISO image creation and burn to CD/DVD.

2. Boot target machine from your Windows PE CD/DVD containing your image file.

3. Partition and format drive as needed.

4. Determine the drive letter of your CD/DVD.

5. Replace d:\ in imagex /apply command with the letter of your CD/DVD as needed to access

WIM.

6. Apply image: imagex /apply d:\C_Image.wim “Drive C” C:

7. If you need to make any changes to the image you can now access all of the files written from

the image and modify them as needed.

8. Remove media and reboot.

ImageX does not support applying images spanned over multiple disks. Its very frustrating as I have to deploy using media because our environments do not always guarantee network connectivity. I'd like to move to WIM file-based imaging for several reasons, but I'm stuck with Ghost for now because of the split image issue.

And just in case you were wondering, Microsoft is aware of the issue and it won't be fixed anytime soon.

Other links:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Imagex-Spanned-images-t94487.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/Split-Appended-W...one-t97953.html