Unable to format

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I believe I have a major problem with my computer when I try to format- it keeps restarting. I'm really in a bind and if you could help me out it would be wonderful. Thanks in advance! Anyway, the screen restarts with NO error messages (just complete blackout) specifically during the NTFS quick or normal speed formatting. I've gotten to 100 percent with normal speed and it goes to 20 percent unceasingly during a quick format, then it crashes. I've read through your forums and I couldn't find anything specific to the formatting exactly. I've formatted dozens of times and I've never encountered something quite like this! Please help!

I don't quite follow what you mean by "Channel". Do you mean the jumpers, or perhaps the position (Slave/Master) on the IDE itself? I'm no professional, but I'm handy when it comes to computers. Self-taught type of IT :sneaky: .

Edited by fresheadies

OK, I switched the cables as you said, and everything seemed to go fine.....UNTIL the formatting was being prepared in windows setup (as in before the actual formatting occurs). but something important happened- a blue screen of death with the error message (paraphrase): the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant. Visit *website* for BIOS update. If unable to obtain latest BIOS or if they're not ACPI compliant I can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this press F7 when prompted to install storage drivers. I have no idea what ACPI is, man this is bad...

Actually, would you (or anyoen else for that matter) know how to make the BIOS update bootable? I tried ripping an ISO with the download to no avail. I downloaded the update here: It's an AK-77 600N, and it comes with 3 files: a BIN and two EXE's....odd. AGain, I tried ripping the three together as an ISO and it was weak sauce. Thanks.

You put in a floppy disk and select format, then choose make a startup disk or boot disk whatever it says. and then add those 3 files to it.

Nevermind I finally looked at those files and I know see that it is made to be flashed from within a windows enviroment...

As a last option before you start looking for a new mobo get memtest 86+ and run it from CD.

Also reconfigure your system so that it has only one cd drive and one harddrive. (You can add the rest back in if the install goes.), but yeah you are definatly having a hardware issue.