DVD-RAM Drive Weird Behavior

Wijono

I am using Sonic DLA 5.20 and Nero Express 6 under WinXP SP2, everything works fine until recently.

I don’t realized when did it start, but it must be quite recently. Now my DVD-RAM Drive only changes the volume label during the boot. When the drive is empty during the boot, the volume label will be DVD-RAM Drive (E:), but if any disk is in the drive during the boot, the disk name will be displayed on the volume label. Then it will stay that way, regardless whatever disk is inserted, the volume label will not change.

Additional information, when the drive was empty during the boot, regardless whether the drive is empty or not after the boot, under the Properties of the drive following is always displayed:

Type: CD Drive

File system: Unknown

Otherwise, all other functions work properly, I can read all types of disk, write to CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R etc., but that the volume label does not refresh is really annoying!

I have tried to uninstalled Sonic DLA and Nero Express, cleanup all entries in the Registry left by those software. I have made sure that Drive Insert Notification (Autoplay) are enabled in the Registry and Group Policy. But that problem still persists!

I have found in the web few instances with the same problem as I faced, but unfortunately none with solution. I would therefore be very grateful for any kind of help leading to the fix of that problem.

I did not know how did that happen, but it seems the problem was the result of inconsistencies between following registry keys in different places in the registry:

- NoDriveTypeAutoRun

- NoCDBurning

Also I got rid of all keys “NoDriveAutoRun”.

After that done, it seems the problem has disappeared.

Those of you that have similar problem may try that tips.