w2k pro will not boot.....

keithy397

Hi guys,

explorer.exe has generated errors............

First time I've ever had this problem where I can't boot up at all, even after the above error..

Basically, I was trying to install an HP Scanjet 2400 via the HP website. I downloaded the installation files (huge mb!!) and try as I may, it would not play along. Anyways, I decided to forget it and go buy a diff scanner. I uninstalled it, deleted all useless files and then cleaned up the registry with various tools with which I've had no problems before - Crap Cleaner, Find Junk Files, RegSeeker, Free Windows Registry Repair. Where relevant, I have restored all cleanings etc except I got an error something like can't write to/or read Registry. I have a feeling I may have deleted something from the registry arrrgggghhhhh! I ran the System File Checker and that requests I insert the win 2000 pro installation cd, er, I would but I dunno where it is, I cant find it, it has been that long since I used it!! On the Windows support website an answer to a query there of similar nature was to download and reinstall the SP4.

So, I really need some help here to get me booting up again guys and would much appreciate any help.

TIA

Perhaps try to boot with "Last Known Good", but I doubt it will help if i.e. your version of Explorer has been somehow 'restored' to older version (when you were uninstalling and cleaning things).

F8 at boot when you see selections (W2K and another W2K if you don't have any other OSes there).

edit:

more info HERE

If that won't help, try to boot in safe mode with command prompt.

Delete and copy correct explorer.exe version to your \winnt dir

If you kept your W2K updated, you probably had the latest common version 5.0.3700.6690, but remember that restoring it from original CD restores the much older version, so if you restored it from CD thats why you have this error. If you didn't make any backups, you can download explorer.exe from other threads on this forum (search for patched with 256-col icons).

If it works out for you, I suggest to download and install ERUNT (set it for autobackup daily) and Cobian Backup 8 (set it for daily backup of windows dir too). Those 2 saved me many times from troubles like this.

Edited by 888

Hi 888

Perhaps try to boot with "Last Known Good", but I doubt it will help if i.e. your version of Explorer has been somehow 'restored' to older version (when you were uninstalling and cleaning things).

F8 at boot when you see selections (W2K and another W2K if you don't have any other OSes there).

edit:

more info HERE

I did try the last known procedure but it didn't work. I'm assuming I've somehow lost and/or deleted files I shouldn't. I must say though that I've never had this problem before and I've been in the same routine of cleaning up for years??

If that won't help, try to boot in safe mode with command prompt.

Delete and copy correct explorer.exe version to your \winnt dir

If you kept your W2K updated, you probably had the latest common version 5.0.3700.6690, but remember that restoring it from original CD restores the much older version, so if you restored it from CD thats why you have this error. If you didn't make any backups, you can download explorer.exe from other threads on this forum (search for patched with 256-col icons).

I havent restored from a cd as I cant find the original, which appears not to be a problem if that would crash too! If it is possible to d/l explorer.exe maybe this would give me what i need, do you mean from here? - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...aded&start=

If it works out for you, I suggest to download and install ERUNT (set it for autobackup daily) and Cobian Backup 8 (set it for daily backup of windows dir too). Those 2 saved me many times from troubles like this.

I will certainly have a look at the above once I'm up and running again!

If you would confirm a link for me for explorer.exe 888, it would be much appreciated. I don't want to d/l & copy the wrong file, I've had enough grief for one day!!

Edit* Now that's weird, I cant find the winnt folder??

Edited by keithy397

Now that's weird, I cant find the winnt folder??

Thats not a good sign... :unsure:

Assuming you'll *find* your WINNT folder, I attached copy of my explorer.exe v.5.0.3700.6690 (there are too many links in the search on this forums, Im too lazy to go through all of them, sorry)

Extract it to i.e. floppy, boot in command prompt, delete existing explorer in \WINNT and copy or move this explorer there.

It is virus-free etc, dont worry (but scan it on another machine since you never know what can happen on forum ;) )

However, it is kinda pointless, since you haven't restore your explorer from CD or didnt uninstall any windows update patches (that might have 'restored' older explorer from its backup).

I think you did something with with your windows folder since you cannot find \WINNT directory, you probably deleted it somehow, and if you dont have any backups of hdd image or such - you'll need to reinstall windows I'm afraid :/

Anyways, good luck and let us know whats up :)

explorer_5.0.3700.6690.rar

Edited by 888