Will This Work?

Atmosphere XG

I was going to throw this in the 98 forum but, it is more aimed towards XP.

I have a program that only works in Windows 98, & 95. If I do an upgrade to Windows XP the program works. However, if I do a fresh install of XP I get something to the matter of not finding the sockets and it will not function.

So, there is something in Windows 98, that's missing in XP.

What I would like to do is pull out the Windows 98 System 32 driver files and, INF folder and throw it into XP's System 32 driver files, in addition to INF folder.

Would that work?

Granted it is the only program that will not work on XP and I don't need the extras that Windows 98 offers.

The company of the software has moved on towards a newer version however, it will only work on a 1024x768 screen and, I'm using a small monitor and need 800x600 which the old program offers.

Instead of deliberately taking steps that are quite likely to either completely break XP, or cause it to go into an SFC panic, how about creating a shortcut to the application instead, and configure the shortcut's properties to start the application in Windows 95 compatibility mode?

Instead of deliberately taking steps that are quite likely to either completely break XP, or cause it to go into an SFC panic, how about creating a shortcut to the application instead, and configure the shortcut's properties to start the application in Windows 95 compatibility mode?

That was going to be my suggestion as well.

But the newer version is most likely a better one anyway. And you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune to get a big screen monitor. I have a 24" one that I got at a Computer show for under $100 - have not had any problem with it, and have had it for about 3 years now....

Thanks for the input.

Well, moving from a 15 inch screen to 24 takes up more real estate which I don't have. I don't even have enough room for a 17 inch screen.

I don't have Windows 95 only 98 SE. So, how would I go about making a compatibility mode?

What I would like to do is pull out the Windows 98 System 32 driver files and, INF folder and throw it into XP's System 32 driver files, in addition to INF folder.

That's not a good idea. You'd mess up the XP folders, and maybe XP wouldn't like it. I suppose there is one or more dll's missing, which provide some functionality your program needs.

You can try to load your program in Dependency Walker. Maybe it tells you immediately which dll(s) are missing. Maybe you'll have to profile it first. (Menu->Profile). Have a look at the red lines in the logscreen. When a LoadLibrary or a GetProcAddress fails, it should say which dll is involved.

Get the dlls from the 98 installation, and put them in the same directory as your executable. It could work now.