DNS Question...

you really don't have DNS setup on your computer, what you have is an IP t a DNS server, (either your ISPs or a one on your network) do you want to test his machine as a DNS server? if so you can add his IP into your NIC Properties.

you really don't have DNS setup on your computer, what you have is an IP t a DNS server, (either your ISPs or a one on your network) do you want to test his machine as a DNS server? if so you can add his IP into your NIC Properties.

Hmm...Can you explain that again? I have DNS server running on my Windows 2003 and my AD and other workstations are pointing to it. He wanted me to add his workstation to my DNS... I figured what he meant was add his IP as one of the host on my DNS. But I'm curious to hear what you say about me not having my own DNS. The setup I have isn't considered a DNS?

Is this persons PC a member of your AD domain? If it is and DHCP is setup correctly it will automatticaly add his hostmask to your DNS. If not then you will need to manually enter it unless your DNS is set to allow insecure updates.

To manually add a host do the follow...

DNS > Forward Lookup Zone > domain.com

Right click domain.com and select "New Host (A)..."

Enter his computers hostname and IP address into the provided boxes.

Depending if you have a Reverse Lookup Zone PTR doesn't matter than much. I would say leave it ticked and click "Add Host". It might give you an error about not being able to create a PTR record at which point you can safely ignore.