Automatic Generate Computername over RIS

Hi all.

Can you help me with this problem? I want automatic generate computer name over ris installation.

For example :

All computers name in the network - CORP-PC1

CORP-PC2

CORP-PC48

How can i do that? I read this article .....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was previously published under Q223194

SUMMARY

The Remote Installation Service (RIS) has a feature that allows the service to automatically generate computer names for computers using RIS to install Windows 2000 Professional. Administrators can customize these automatically generated names using the following variables or a combination of the these items:

User's first name = %First

User's last name = %last

User's logon name = %Username =

MAC address = %MAC

Incremental number = %#

The administrator can also place a number in front of each variable so that n characters are used. However, RIS does not zero-fill the numbers.

MORE INFORMATION

For example, assume that the following customized name format is being used:

CORP-PC%#

The generated name and computer account created in the Active Directory is equal to "CORP-PC1," not "CORP-PC001," "CORP-PC002," and so on. These numbers increase sequentially until all numbers equal to or less than 999 have been used. The Remote Install Administration tool shows the format as "CORP-PC123" to point out that numerals will be used in this field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I WRITE TO MY RISTNDRD.SIF FILE THIS :

COMPUTERNAME=CORP-PC%3# but isn't function. Installation will be stop on the windows Computer Name and Administrator Password a want fill up the computer name, because Computername CORP-PC%3# which i set to ristndrd.sif file is not correct.

Can you help me how can i set automatic generate computer name so a CORP-PC1? I don't want generate computername in my network for example CORP23164fa4sdfsa664 so as when i set COMPUTERNAME=*

Any idea?

Thank you very much.

PETER.

Yup, it is in there... however...

But with means of scripting u can even predefine OU level placement of the computer object for the ris installed machine in conjunction with the name u r given it.

This can be handy sometimes..