Install Office 03 Using NLite?

gavinnelson

Hi I am using Nlite to ReInstall Windows XP Pro on every computer in my domain. I am using this, this year because I am getting tried of Norton Ghoast, it takes too long the the out comes are not always good. Normally I Install Office over the Network using Group Policy but I am having to much trouble with it, plus you have to do volume license agreements and I just don't like that. I run a gigantic domain in several locations but I want to do it in just one office. Like I said normally I would do it by OU but I want to try this. So is it possible for me to add Setup.exe from office and have it install with out me doing anything. I would also like to install WinZip. How might I do this.

Thanks,

Gavin Nelson

Systems Administrator

you should obtain Microsoft's "Office Resource Kit" and create a customized install package (an .MST file). then, you can call setup.exe to run unattendantly (exact syntax is explained through the customization tool).

I've never tried that myself, but I guess that through nLite you'd call it by the RunOnce tab. I THINK (somebody correct me here?) that it's being called at the same phase of GUIRunOnce (same section?) where MS says it's safe to call Windows-Installer-based setups.

(actually, you'd might add it yourself into a [GUIRunOnce] section of your resulting I386\WINNT.SIF file and see if it installs correctly).

Good luck, please post results! I'm curious :)

Edited by maxkohl

As I network administrator I get really angry when I am reading a guide and even I have no idea how to do it. I did however find something in one of these forms that got it done. Nlite Add-On maker. It allowed me to take office even uncompressed and put it on the XP disc to automagically install. I also did it with WinZop and MusicMatch It is pretty cool! Thanks! :thumbup

• 1 month later...
hey gavinelson, can u please point or post the link where u got that nlite addon maker? I also want to install office 2003 automatically. thanks.

Does that addon maker allow for compression/removal of parts of office? What about use with office 2007. I have a 7zipped 2003 install that is only 230mb and I use that to install with my xp disc. I would like to get office 2007 and try to make the same thing. I would also like the link to that app to see what it can do.

THANKS