Virtual Pc And Dvd Install

Well, I thought I would run a test of my newly created "DVD XP Pro/Office XP + Photoshop 7.01" ISO, but when I ran Virtual PC it would not take the ISO, which was almost 1.2 Gig.

It said it was not a CD image because it was either under 2 MB or not divisible by 2.

I can't believe they did not design Virtual PC for DVD installs as well...! Aaaargh...!

:)

Um... yes, they did. Use cdimage to build your ISO and it should work just fine. Also, in Virtual PC, create a PC that runs XP with 128mb. Don't choose 'Other'. I"ve captured 4.4 GB (yes, gigabyte) iso files in VPC and never had a problem.

If it doesn't work, I also recommend VMware 4.0.5. I have had different problems with each, so if something doesn't work in one, I try it in the other, and usually it works. Odd, I know.

Also, just in case: Do NOT try to use your iso file as the Hard disk image. Create a new pc through the wizard, don't use default. Use 'Guide Me' and create it to run Windows XP. Then, start up the pc and in the CD menu choose 'Capture Image' then reset the PC. It's worked for me too many times to count.

flyakite quote:

Use CDimage to build your ISO and Virtual PC should work just fine

I am trying out your advice, but regarding CDimage:

Any special Settings? Internal Image, I suppose. Long filenames, allow large file creation. A lot of switches I didn't use...

Edit: To be precise, these are the switches I used:

/-h /-n /d /-m

Should I have also used:

/-c

/-b "El Torito" boot sector file

:/

Will...

I did not use CDIMAGE in the end my self, but AaronXP posted this for me a few weeks back and it did work fine..

Place your XPCD folder on C:

Place your boot file also on C: (mine was called xpboot.img)

Place CDIMAGE.EXE on C:

Then run the following in a CMD window

C:\CDIMAGE.EXE -lWXPVOL_EN -t12/31/2002,12:00:00 -h -j1 -m -bC:\xpboot.img C:\XPCD C:\WXPVOL_EN.ISO

I understand enough to say that the switches he's using set the creation date and time, but I don't know what else it does.. Basically you will end up with an iso called WXPVOL_EN.iso and thats it done.. Hope that works for you...

ALSO..

I have had some experience of creating DVD images for testing with VPC, and you can read previous posts on this topic here.... and here....

The problems I had are a bit different to yours, but the info may be useful.. I dunno.. The first link also has the post from AaronXP that I quoted above..

I would LOVE to know how flyakite managed to capture a 4gig iso in VPC, I run with 400Mb RAM and a 16Gb HD partition in my VPC, but I (and others) get errors with any CD/DVD over 2Gb, this includes ISO capture and Disk Capture if you actually burn it.. as yet I have been UNABLE to get more than 2gig working in VPC no matter what method I use.. it always has corrupt files on it for some reason.

Good luck with it, I know how much of a pain they can be !

start D:\XPCD\cdimage.exe -lXP2K98 -t08/23/2001,09:00:00 -bD:\XPCD\ROOT\loader.bin -h -n -o -m D:\XPCD\ROOT C:\XP2K98.ISO

That is the current command I use to make my image. It is all on one line of course.

"D:\XPCD\cdimage.exe" - change to the location of your cdimage.exe file

"D:\XPCD\ROOT\loader.bin" - change to directory or your xpboot.bin file (mine is loader.bin because I use a 10 OS multi-boot dvd)

"D:\XPCD\ROOT" - change to the root folder that all your files are in

"C:\XP2K98.ISO" - change to the name and location where you want your ISO file created

Also: I placed this into a file called makeiso.bat and that way when I make changes to my folders I just delete the old ISO and run the .bat file to create a new one. And if Virtual PC 5.2 is causing you problems, try VMware 4.0.5. I like it more than Virtual PC, although each one gives me a couple of problems depending on what I'm trying to do. Oddly enough, if something doesn't work for me in VPC, it does in VMware, and same the other way around.

Thanks, Oh_Kay, and flyakite, for your help...

Figured out my problem!

I was using Virtual PC Version 5.1

I downloaded 5.2 Trial Version from Microsoft, all seems great now!

However, I have not tested with images over 2 GIG, Oh_Kay, so I can't voice an opinion on that subject YET...!

But I am sure eventually I will be finding out what kind of challenges a 3 GIG+ DVD install disk holds in store for me...!

Another note you might find interesting willpantin, when I made an image of a 4.4GB folder in UltraISO, it made me a 4.4GB iso. When I made it in cdimage, it made me a 2.56GB iso, which, when burned to a DVD, truly only used up 2.56GB worth of space! (and everything works like a charm still)

So now I can actually add my $OEM$ folder to my DVD without having to worry about a 2 cd install! (which is a PAIN)

No reason yet to update it.

though a planned update is for sometime in late 2004 to bring it upto spec with emerging blue ray devices.

Internally, there was only a .1 update to correct a minor glitch with +256 alpha count naming conventions at level 3 iso. But that was done in august 2000 and the rev number on the cdimage wasn't bothered to be changed. So most likely those that have 2.47 have that revision since it only escaped in november 2000

other than that, not broken. Nothing to fix

man that blue laser tech is awsome, kicks a**

but I think its early for that tech, since ppl haven't even changed to dvd-rw/+rw yet

but I did :) totally recommend it

best for making backups of programs and backups of game CD's images!