Collection of Stripped Down Applications

ivanhope

I was wondering if we could put together a list of applications that have been optimized to maximize speed and reduce memory consumption. I know there were firefox builts made this way and once I found an Itunes install file that was half the sizem, they also have aim stripped down version, ads removed. I think it would be cool to combine a list like this with an install from nlite and see what is the most efficient system that can be put together. I would also like to know if anyone knows applications that were originally made with efficiency in mind such as utorrent.

Thanks a lot

I am sorry for the english, I write a bit sloppily some times. I dont know if you guys understand me. I want to know of applications you know of any kind that were designed efficiently, we are all efficiency junkies here, so this should pop some ideas out. For example, media player classic, utorrent, etc. Also some people have made packages with itunes, were they removed quicktime and other components. Also I know there are version sof direfox that have a lot of features taking off before compiled, but i cant find it right now; I also mentioned the aim patch to take ads off and increase speed. An interesting website is: http://www.oldversion.com/ that could help us find versions with about the same usability that are simply faster than the new releases. I just want to know if I amde myself clear, it seems like some people read the article and doesn't know what I meant.

ImgBurn, nice one...I was going to put that, but I thought it had to be actual stripped down versions of the programs and not alternates. I don't even use Nero anymore, now that Imgburn has come onto the scene. There is a "portable Imgburn," if that will count as a stripped down version (it's a single executable), but it was hard to find.

Reason why I still use Nero is because of the multisession DVD, it has that great refresh on "continue multisession" and it updates only the changed files so backup becomes fast and easy without the specialized backup software.

ImgBurn, nice one...I was going to put that, but I thought it had to be actual stripped down versions of the programs and not alternates. I don't even use Nero anymore, now that Imgburn has come onto the scene. There is a "portable Imgburn," if that will count as a stripped down version (it's a single executable), but it was hard to find.

I just want applications that put emphasis in minimizing memory and processor usage. Some full versions are already such a way. I am suprised no one knows a FF version like that. Since it is open source I would have imagined that someonewould have compiled it so that it runs at max speed. I have seen versions compiled for a particular processor somewhere. media player classic is the perfect example of an efficient tool that does what is supposed too and nothing else, and it does it fast and nicely.

• 3 weeks later...