Took a Stab at Home Cooling

Brando569

i thought this up awhile ago and discussed it with my dad and finally had the means to put my plan into action. this all stemmed out of realizing i only have one case fan and it was getting pretty hot in there, also i dont have any money for the case i want yet. (~$220, integrated water cooling)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/bran...ng/100_0718.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/bran...ng/100_0720.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/bran...ng/100_0721.jpg

the only change i made to the initial pic is there isnt a cardboard tube on the other end anymore, instead theres a aluminum plate (which was formely the case of an old floppy drive) that has a hole cut in it, and 4 screw holes which line up with the fan grate on the back.

components:

64oz gatorade bottle

~6ft pool hose

hot glue

aluminum case of a former floppy drive

havent tested out how efficient it is yet, i havent looked for any programs that will measure the temps of various things. my old asus board was bundled with this stuff but now i have a dfi board.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian
We have many dial-up users please don't post full sized images like that.

Yeah, don´t use de airco on cooling mode, just ventilation mode and it will be fine.

Also I would put the intake down in the case and blow cold air in, not suck it away from the back.

Other then that, it´s a start ;).

EDIT: By the way, forget that hotglue, use silicon kit for that (the one you use to make windows water proof for example)...

Edited by puntoMX

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHHAA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAH

Thats messed up!!!

Seriously though what about condensation?

doesnt seem to be a problem yet, and if there is any it will most likely get caught in the bottle then in the (~6 ft long) tube, plus i just noticed theres a sag in the middle of the tube so that would definately stop condensation, if there is any. i did notice a little in the bottle, thats about it.

Yeah, don´t use de airco on cooling mode, just ventilation mode and it will be fine.

Also I would put the intake down in the case and blow cold air in, not suck it away from the back.

Other then that, it´s a start ;).

EDIT: By the way, forget that hotglue, use silicon kit for that (the one you use to make windows water proof for example)...

i was gonna put it down low, but the fan grill seemed like the only suitable place w/o destroying the case (which i intend to sell when i get my new one), as for the hot glue i wanted to use silicon but i went to go use the tube i had and half was dried up and the bottom half was still wet so i cracked it open and used it to fix my computer chair :lol: the hot glue didnt work at first so my dad put a coat of it on the inside of the plate and one on the outside, and it seems to hold quite well

lol, i love it! there is barely any air going in their so i wouldnt worry about condensation too much.

yea even on "hi cool" the force of the air is about equivalent a strong exhale (if that)

all in all i'd say it worked out pretty well, i made a decent cooling solution for about ~$10

Edited by Brando569

Condensation should not be a problem because when the air flows over the evaporator coil, the moisture in the air is (for the most part) dropped from the air and is taken outside (window unit) and drained there. Condensation should not be a major problem unless it's a really hot muggy day outside.

An idea you can use if you can, try to take another hose from the front or back of the computer case and take it to the return air vent on the window unit for even better cooling :P

By the way, really good idea, I been thinking of doing it myself, just never got around to it. I have put my laptop on the supply vent in my room and cooled it off in a matter of seconds :P

Wow... that's really wicked! :lol:

Most air-conditioning systems remove the moisture out of the air anyways, so condensation shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's definitely a solution that I think we can all appreciate!

Most air conditioning systems? All air conditioning systems remove moisture from the air. Unless it's short of gas and it can't cool as well as it could if it had a full charge.

When air flows over the evaporator coil, the moisture condenses on it and is basically removed from the air. While some systems may be better than others, the basic idea of humidity control is there in all A/C systems.

Most air conditioning systems? All air conditioning systems remove moisture from the air. Unless it's short of gas and it can't cool as well as it could if it had a full charge.

When air flows over the evaporator coil, the moisture condenses on it and is basically removed from the air. While some systems may be better than others, the basic idea of humidity control is there in all A/C systems.

Nope, evaporative air conditioners as used in the US SouthWest do not remove moisture --- in fact they add it.

This is true, but a window shaker unit uses refrigerant flowing through the coils to cool the air. I highly doubt he has an evaporative window shaker unit :P

The evaporative units don't cool as well as standard A/C units either.

Edited by prx984

@Brando569

Nice jerry rigging. Since you have done what you have, then I would suggest that you use something like a small cardboard box to do your initial air intake and turn as you have done with the soda bottle. The box will allow you to redirect more air. Then use something like a hose from a shop vac which is roughly the same diameter as a case fan. Keep in mind what PuntoMX said about smooth walls on the hose as it will have a direct effect on airflow. If you have an exhaust fan in the case, then you should be cooking, so to speak.

As most have pointed out, condensation shouldn't be a factor with the type of AC you are using plus the contents of your computer tower are going to be warm to hot and that will discourage condensation there.

Reminds me of the computer tower in a refrigerator project.

DL