for service tweakers

dcyphure

as one who tends to reinstall and fiddle with tweaks often, i came across this and thought it might help ease the pain of having to configure every single service individually.

just go here and select which services you want disabled or whatever, afterwhich it can generate a .reg registry file so next time you reinstall or want to go back to previous changes you can just click that file once and its all taken care of.

i recommend you create one with your versions default as well, perhaps several different ones depending on what services you may need in the future, properly labled thier always a click away, can save tons of time

http://www.speedyvista.com/regGen.html

go here for a list of services you can disable.

http://www.speedyvista.com/services5min.html

i prefer this one over blackviper's site personally

awesome, i just used the website a few days again to mess with my services but never noticed the regGen, awesome find!

edit: i just finished it, it takes forever to go through all those services! :lol:

Edited by Brando569

ya i really wouldnt recommend messing too much with vista's services. soo many times i had to figure out which services i disabled... sometimes i couldnt find a solution. only if vista didnt use soo much ram..

i didnt have too much trouble figuring out services, its fairly well explained although doesnt cover specifics as i assume no one really knows exactly everything a service might be used for, k but it takes forever to read each one, decide if you'll ever need it but i kept my .reg file in my backup drive so hopefully i never have to do it again.

also i noticed if you try to remove a service that vista normally doesnt allow, you get error complaining it couldnt import all keys, no biggie and good that its safeguarded i guess

also that site doesnt cover all the services were blackviper's does, but theres quite a few services i noticed that BV recommends not to disable yet the other site says its ok to and doing so i had no problems.

i went from 40 services to 21 with vista ultimate....how many you guys got goin?

despite it saving some ram, i havnt noticed any increase in performance...anyone else?

soo many times i had to figure out which services i disabled... sometimes

you should always make a backup of your registry first and keep it somewhere. i usually just open regedit in search box (searchbox works the same as run command btw) and export all my registry to a safe place, then if necessary i can import it back..i think system restore does similar?

Edited by dcyphure