WPI Themes

Thanks for your fast reply!

But maybe there's another way how to modify WPI, so that also users of IE6 will have PNGs with transparency without converting them or installing IE7:

PNGs with transparency in IE6 I (seems to be the better solution)

PNGs with transparency in IE6 II

I would be very glad if you could tell me, at which point I will have to modify my WPI or where I have to insert the new code to have transparency!

Best regards and thanks a lot

cool400

Edited by cool400

Delayed loading and resource use

The AlphaImageLoader can be quite slow to load, and appears to consume more resources than a standard image when applied. Typically, you’d need to add thousands of GIFs or JPEGs to a page before you saw any noticeable impact on the browser, but with the AlphaImageLoader filter applied Internet Explorer can become sluggish after just a handful of alpha channel PNGs.

The other noticeable effect is that as more instances of the AlphaImageLoader are applied, the longer it takes to render the PNGs with their transparency. The user sees the PNG load in its original non-supported state (with black or grey areas where transparency should be) before one by one the filter kicks in and makes them properly transparent.

Both the issue of sluggish behaviour and delayed load only really manifest themselves with volume and size of image. Use just a couple of instances and it’s fine, but be careful adding more than five or six. As ever, test, test, test.

Links become unclickable, forms unfocusable

This is a big one. There’s a bug/weirdness with AlphaImageLoader that sometimes prevents interaction with links and forms when a PNG background image is used. This is sometimes reported as a z-index issue, but I don’t believe it is. Rather, it’s an artefact of that weird way the filter gets applied to the document almost outside of the normal render process.

Often this can be solved by giving the links or form elements hasLayout using position: relative; where possible. However, this doesn’t always work and the non-interaction problem cannot always be solved. You may find yourself having to go back to the drawing board.

There are many other solutions out there too HOWEVER we have yet to find one that actually works well with WPI.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Okay, I understand that! So every solution using AlphaImageLoader leads to delays, right?

Maybe you can tell me anyway, where I could paste the code to try it out myself?

BTW, could this be useful: The easiest way to PNG support in IE6?

Or maybe this: PNG Alpha Transparency?

Best regards and thanks a lot

cool400 :ph34r:

Edited by cool400

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All themes have been updated to 6.5, including Gnome's. Get them off the WPI web site once Kel gets the site updated (still has 5.5 themes up).

If you have a custom theme you want updated, post a link here and I will do it.

OK updated all themes on the site!! Added 2 new themes in homage to Xpero, Xperties and Zedox.

th_80457_Xpize_122_7lo.jpg

th_80458_Xpize_Dark_122_467lo.jpg

Both can be found on the website.

Counting the 3 themes in WPI we now have 31 themes up to date and supported! Keep them comming PLEASE!

Plus with the addition of finnish we now have 30 supported languages.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Here's a couple i'm working on :D

Im looking for a nice WPI logo that will blend in with these backgrounds. Most of them have the globe. Are there any with a moon to match the darker themes?

well, hope u enjoy :hello:

post-177469-1212756877_thumb.jpg

need to make the tooltip box wider and figure out how to get the pictures to work

post-177469-1212756886_thumb.jpg

I like this one. Looks simple and clean with the dock on the bottom. Too bad the tooltip doesn't work with this theme though.

It was originally the "Vista" theme that modified.

I plan on placing my WPI on my web server for friends and family to access. Im pretty much trying to make a SUPER WPI.

Does anyone know if there is an ongoing project of that sort? If so, i would like to contribute what i have to add to the cause.

If not...lets start one!!!!! Maybe end up with a WPI folder that over 1TB LOL (mines almost at 3 gigs and i just started)

No, but that could be an option down the road. How many OS's do you use that this would be useful?

I use this on a USB Stick and have tested all my installs against XP SP2/SP3, Vista RTM/SP1, Server 2003 SP1/SP2, AND for x86 and x64 architectures. I only use one copy and have check to show/hide or grey out certain versions etc.

• 4 weeks later...
OK updated all themes on the site!! Added 2 new themes in homage to Xpero, Xperties and Zedox.

th_80457_Xpize_122_7lo.jpg

th_80458_Xpize_Dark_122_467lo.jpg

Both can be found on the website.

Counting the 3 themes in WPI we now have 31 themes up to date and supported! Keep them comming PLEASE!

Plus with the addition of finnish we now have 30 supported languages.

Where are the download link for themes? The link at the very top of the page isn't working.