WPI v6.2

softpedia_clean_award_f.gif

Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI for short) is a hypertext application designed for giving users choice. While Windows XP offers many ways of customizing the setup process out of the box, its major drawback is the lack of being able to select which applications an end user may install. In the past, end users and administrators needed to either download the files manually, or create overly complex scripts that could only be used once. WPI allows you to create one image, which can then be custom configured, and optionally, automated, so that end users can install any applications that have been configured into WPI.

Highlights!

4 more commandlines

Reboot issues fixed.

Mainani.gif

Here is the 6.2 changelog:

v6.2 Updates - Released August 10th, 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Fixed all of the issues with the extra 4 commandlines

* Sadly the Double quotes on regentries bug has returned so please
remember to remove the quotes from the regafter and regbefore lines...

v6.1 Updates - Released July 27th, 2007

* WPI will now automatically trim the paths to %wpipath%\Install\Blah.exe

* Added 4 more Commandlines.

* Turned the volume down a bit on the embeded media player.

* Fixed the reboot issues (zorphnog)

* Fixed the api error upon finalizing after a reboot (Zorphnog)

===============================================================================

v6 Updates - Released June 20, 2007
* Fixed the double quotes bug on Registry Before\After!

* Moved hotkeys back to alt+

* Added Punjabi Language and updated several of the other languages.

* Added function of getfileversion.

* Added identifiers for Vista os disk.

* Compiled a whole new system for making the runonce & MCE theme entries for WPI
through RunWPI.exe to be used in cmdlines.txt

* Added the new official theme for WPI.

* Added check for Vista, getOSver()=="Vista". (mritter)
===============================================================================

wpidl.png

Notes and Extras

Suggested disk folder layout:

th_72737_Untitled_1.jpg

With the above folder layout all your config entries should read like:

%wpipath%\Install\Blah.exe

I have seperated the tools out from the main archive. You can download the tools here:

Tools archive.

Contents of the tools archive:

WPI Config Lister

CDSwitch

3 Custom themes for CDSwitch

autorun.inf <-- Updated and fixed

wpi.ico New icon thanks to WolfX2

TaskKillS.exe from sadicq

TaskKillS Instructions

Here is a quick start package that will set your windows disk up to use WPI with runonceex.

This is for use with all versions of Windows 2000, XP and 2003!

To make use of this archive all you need to do is unRAR it and place the %oem% folder beside the I386 and WPI folders.

$OEM$ Folder. (The forum is messing up this link so copy www.wpiw.net/downloads/$oem$.rar )

Contents of the %OEM% archive:

cmdlines.txt

RunWPI.exe (Sets the runonceex and MCE themeing entries used for WPI)

NEW!!!

An $OEM%\WPI folder that sets up your WPI for RunOnceEx with the official Zune Microsoft Theme!

$OEM$-Zune Folder. (The forum is messing up this link so copy www.wpiw.net/downloads/$oem$-zune.rar )

Contents of the %OEM%-Zune archive:

cmdlines.txt

RunWPI_Zune.exe

Use is as the same as the one above...

This is for use with all versions of Windows Vista!

To make use of this archive all you need to do is unRAR it and place the Sources folder at the root of your CD.

Sources Folder.

Contents of the Sources archive:

setupcomplete.cmd (This needs to be several folders deep so I preset the folders for you)

1978 .png images for your pleasure to use in your tooltips or whatever!

PNG Collection.

Here is a small tutorial on how to add an app to WPI!

Ok this is a sample (Very simple) configuration for CCleaner (A.K.A Crap Cleaner)

This assumes you have all of the WPI files either in the WPI folder at the root of your Windows cd or all of the WPI folders (Common, Graphics, WPIScripts, Tools, Install and Themes) and the file WPI.hta at the root of your cd.

Remember this is just the most basic and required entries for a program!

#1 Download the app and place it in the WPI\Install Folder. (CCleaner.exe in this example)

#2 Run WPI.hta and click on the “Config” button\Icon area.

#3 Choose the button at the very top above the config section that says “Add”

#4 Enter in the name section “CCleaner” <--No quotes! Then click on any other section of the config area to activate the rest of the wizard.

#5 You will notice the Unique ID section gets automatically configured for you.

#6 All apps are selected to be installed by default right from the start so if you don’t want it selected by default you must uncheck this box. Also you can decide if you want this app to be a "Forced Install" or not.

#7 Choose a category for your app to be displayed in. If you want the app to be displayed in a category you don’t see simply chose other and a box will appear that will allow the entry of you choice.

#8 In the Command 1 section click on the little folder icon and browse to the WPI\Install folder and select the CCleaner.exe installer, this will place the full path to the installer in the commandline.

#9 Add the necessary switches for the program to run silently i.e. "%wpipath%\Install\CCleaner.exe" /s (This can be easily done for most standard apps by simply clicking on the USSF button on the far right of the commandline.)

#10 Select the Save and then the Exit buttons and you have now configured your first app!

Guide_th.jpg

Themes are now hosted on WPI.net!!!

Please remember and donate!

OMFG!! :thumbup

Thank you Kel!

*Edit

First bug report.

Options->Installer->Catagories sort order

entries are listed twice. (ie: Applications, Utilities, Applications, Utilities)

Second bug report.

Config->Command 1

click the folder icon and add any application from WPI\Install\ folder, path becomes:

%wpipath%\WPI_v6\WPI\Install\blah.exe

instead of

%wpipath%\Install\blah.exe

cmd1[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\WPI_v6\\WPI\Install\\blah.exe"'];

Folder structure:

H:\

->WPI_v6\

-->WPI\

--->Audio\

--->Common\

--->Graphics\

--->Install\

etc.

Redundancy eh? :) The %wpipath% should automatically default to the directory where WPI.hta is run from, not a literal path.

Edited by mr_smartepants

// %wpipath%

wpipath = unescape(document.location);

wpipath = wpipath.substring(0,wpipath.lastIndexOf("/"));

wpipath = wpipath.replace("file:///","").replace(/\//g,"\\");

Here is the code I need to change to read from wpi.hta not the root.... Any genuises out there? I am just missing it...

Thanks Kel,

Great work! I don't have a clue about your code. Sorry.

I also ran into a strange error using %reboot% with no time (ie. %reboot% vs %reboot% 30) during the very first app in the list.

The error flashed up for a split second before the system rebooted "Application could not initialize..."

The list looks like this:

App1.exe /s

%reboot%

App2.exe /s

I think WPIW is trying to start the next app install immediately following a %reboot% command.

More to follow...

Also, is there a setting for default volume of the music player? As much as I enjoy Aerosmith, I don't want to hear "Dude looks like a lady" at full volume for the few seconds before the controls come up so I can stab at the volume slider. :whistle:

Edited by mr_smartepants

Line 271 in installer.hta (Look in the common folder)

document.write('<param name="Volume" value="100">'); <-- Play with the "100" value.

P.S. Good idea for a new option.

Will look into the reboot issue.

Also let me see the install log on the reboot issue...

First off, I want to thank Kel for his diligence in keeping this project on track and for another great release...

Second bug report.

Config->Command 1

click the folder icon and add any application from WPI\Install\ folder, path becomes:

%wpipath%\WPI_v6\WPI\Install\blah.exe

instead of

%wpipath%\Install\blah.exe

The user will see this for any path, not just %wpipath%. This was actually a feature request from a while back, trimming those "Browsed" paths down to what they really represent instead of manually having to "adjust" each one...I think I was the one that requested it though it never got implemented. There were some issues when resolving application paths across a network or different partition but at least it would be about an 80% solution.

Out of town for the moment but will pass on to Kel what I have and am currently implementing when I get back home...

Will look into the reboot issue.

Also let me see the install log on the reboot issue...

Sorry, I only saw the error once (might have been caused by a faulty .exe call too.)

If I see it again, I'll definitely post the log.

Cool tip on the volume! :)

As to the %wpipath%, if a person follows the 'recommended' install path (X:\WPI\Install\blah.exe) and clicks the folder icon to add blah.exe as an install source, then burns the iso, the install will fail BECAUSE of the default path.

IMHO, that is not right.

Edited by mr_smartepants

That is the suggested cmdline usage... It is a pain to remember to shorten your path to but ALOT easier than having to add the whole path everytime!

Where did I write "WPI\Install\blah.exe"?? I need to know so I can take the WPI\ out.

That is the suggested cmdline usage... It is a pain to remember to shorten your path to but ALOT easier than having to add the whole path everytime!

You're right there, it is easier. But I still maintain that the bulk of your users follow the default install path "%wpipath%\Install\blah.exe" and the program should default to that path, not the full path of the 'working directory'.

Where did I write "WPI\Install\blah.exe"?? I need to know so I can take the WPI\ out.

First post.

#1 Download the app and place it in the WPI\Install Folder. (CCleaner.exe in this example)

<snip>

#8 In the Command 1 section click on the little folder icon and browse to the WPI\Install folder and select the CCleaner.exe installer, this will place the appropriate path in the commandline.

#9 Now Modify the entry to read "%wpipath%\Install\CCleaner.exe" for proper use assuming you have the whole WPI folder at the root of your cd or drive.

#8 In the Command 1 section click on the little folder icon and browse to the WPI\Install folder and select the CCleaner.exe installer, this will place the full path to the installer in the commandline.

#9 Now Modify the entry to read "%wpipath%\Install\CCleaner.exe" for proper use assuming you have the whole WPI folder at the root of your cd or drive.

Clearer?