How to change local profile path

hungry-SHEll

Using Nlite i am able to change the path (in unattended mode) for the local profiles to another drive, but it is constant if again reinstall the OS. So How can i Change the path for the local profile During the time of Installation of Windows XP. (Gui Attended)

Edited by hungry-SHEll

• 4 weeks later...

No reply from anyone till todate

I think the problem is not understable.

let me describe a bit more.

During the installation the windows ask for drive(if more than one drive or partition) where we can choose the drive. And the istaller create three folder in the destination namely "WINDOWS" "Program Files" and "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS" the Documents and settings is the profile path. we can change the location of this path(not all folders inside of this) after installation by registry tweak. OR we can fixed a drive through NLITE tweaks where entire DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS in the pre defined location(and it is fixed).

But I want to change entire Documents and Settings path during the installation. that is during the system installation a dialog box should pop up and ask the location for the "Documents and Settings".

Is it possible??

Is there any command through which we mention in the setup.sif/ini/txt file.

Or do i have to hack any installation file like "SYSSETUP.DLL"/"SETUPAPI.DLL" or any other file.

If yes what is the process and whre?

PLEASE REPLY THIS.

thnx in adv.

====================

Trere are not any which is IMPOSSIBLe in this world.

Edited by hungry-SHEll

@Alienator

No posible in normal way ... you must hack ...

Can you please tell me Which files i have to hack.

IMO there are some files which are responsible for core installation(?) --- SETUPAPI.DLL, SETUPLDR.DLL, SYSSETUP.DLL, Shell32.DLL.

Again In the process after the copying the required files to the HDD, computer restarts and Shell32.dll, Setupapi.dll, sysset.dll in action, so i think i have force the system( these dll's)installer to invoke a dialog box to come out and ask for said location & keep the answer.

But i m in dillemma actually which file i have to hack and where?

if you have any idea please let me know

Edited by hungry-SHEll

• 4 months later...

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/

usingfind answer at this link

the guiunattended section of the winnt.sif file will allow changing documents and settings before install..

i have been working on a reinstall from harddrive using the unattended guide... i should be done before the end of .3/08... still working on a way to change the windows driver path and inf folder path to second drive and assigning it during install if at all possible... so that way all the drivers and inf files for those drivers are placed on second drive as well... also need a way to run export and import of hive files so that installed programs in a seperate program files dir may run after a reinstall... this should answer your question...

you will need to run a reg / batch file during the guiunattended detached program to change it.... this can be done with a set /p prompt via batch.... untested on my end but thanks for the idea as i know it should work... but that may not be the case... i will test it but i probably won't update my results till i finish this project.

Edited by petteysw