bootmgr based Multiboot DVD ( currently XP & Vista)

Dude, None of the examples are working(neither the one to disable EMS nor the one to rename)

Here's how I did it:

bcdedit -store c:\vista\boot\bcd /bootems {bootmgr} OFF

bcdedit /store c:\vista\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} description "Windows Vista Ultimate Final Setup"

Dude Could u just Put an example u used for urself... I'm a newbie, so sometimes I might not know what to put in place of something like "<ur file here>" please use ur own paths and stuff with nothing that I might have to replace or figure out...

thanx anyways

Edited by oidicle

Dude, None of the examples are working(neither the one to disable EMS nor the one to rename)

Here's how I did it:

bcdedit -store c:\vista\boot\bcd /bootems {bootmgr} OFF

bcdedit /store c:\vista\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} description "Windows Vista Ultimate Final Setup"

Dude Could u just Put an example u used for urself... I'm a newbie, so sometimes I might not know what to put in place of something like "<ur file here>" please use ur own paths and stuff with nothing that I might have to replace or figure out...

thanx anyways

THATS not possible

first u should do a bcdedit -store C:\vista\boot\bcd /v /enum

Then look fo an entry having description "Windows Setup" copy down its GUID (say {my_guid})

after thta change the description

by

bcdedit -store c:\vista\boot\bcd /set {my_guid} description "Windows Vista Ultimate Final Setup"

for the ems entry

bcdedit -store c:\vista\boot\bcd /ems {my_guid} OFF

if still u not getting the point, plz attach or send me the bcd file i wll do it

Hi, sory 4 d late reply, It's just that after replying to ur previous post I was kinda busy packing up tp move... I moved back to my original country, so I'm not staying In SA anymore(I've made the necessary adjustments to my info)... anyways I'm back online now and yeah 'll try this other code u gave me, but I don't think I used the "/v enum" before(so that must be why the prob arised)

will give u feedback

P.S: what OS do U recommend I use(XP or Vista) to change the BCD, I've been using vista though....

Peace

Edited by oidicle

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, devil, you wouldn't happen to know why I would be getting an NTDETECT failed message when I start my XP x64 install off of my USB flash drive, but not in VMware off of a .iso file would you? The files are exactly the same, just copied to the flash drive. Vista x64 is still loading fine off the USB drive so I'm not sure what is going on.

I used the bcd commands in this order:

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP x64 Install"

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /set {ntldr} device boot

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /set {ntldr} path \I386\SETUPLDR.BIN

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /displayorder {ntldr} /addfirst

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /set {default} description "Windows Vista x64 Install"

bcdedit /store H:\boot\bcd /default {ntldr}

Edited by arfett

• 2 weeks later...

SETUPLDR is supposed to load from a CD/DVD not from removable (HD) medium as in the case of memory stick

when trying to load SETUPLDR from Stick, it finds that is being loaded from a HD and not optical medium tires to load OS (XP) not the setup thats why it fails.

There is a thread telling how to load an 5.x windows from usb

Here it is http://www.msfn.org/board/boot-install-USB...html&st=480

About 3 months ago I installed XP x64 off my flash drive using your method of multibooting the vista and xp installs and it worked just fine. I wonder what it is I did to get it work. It was heavily nlited as is my new XP x64 source so I don't know if I've changed anything my removals that could have gotten around this check.