Anyone know why Micosoft lists SLP Key for Pro and Tablet, but not for

I am trying to build a collection of OEMBIOS and SLP keys for System Lock Preactivation when reinstalling on a Royalty OEM.

http://www.oembios.net has the OEMBIOS files.

Microsoft publicly lists SLP keys, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx , for

Windows XP Professional 32 bit

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

Windows XP Professional x64 bit

But not for Home or Media Center edition!

I extracted a working SLP key for XP Home from a Dell I had to repair, but so far no luck so far on Media Center 2005. :(

---

Anyway ....

I am curious if Microsoft (or anyone else) has a more complete list.

I am even more curious as to why Microsoft didn't included some but not all versions of XP.

These products are normally used by business customers. A technician that installs windows frequently cannot be expected to call Microsoft for every install. A home user that installs infrequently can be expected to call Microsoft to activate XP.

• 2 months later...

yeah im having that problem too... i need the slp key or just an easy way to use the key that was given to me by dell. i think its so stupid that they give you the key that you believe to be the current key you're using but really its not... cuz when u do a fresh install and try to use ur legit key it doesnt work... f***ing stupid IMO.

yeah im having that problem too... i need the slp key or just an easy way to use the key that was given to me by dell. i think its so stupid that they give you the key that you believe to be the current key you're using but really its not... cuz when u do a fresh install and try to use ur legit key it doesnt work... f***ing stupid IMO.
Would you like to work for Dell if they had to re-code their windows deployment Images for EVERY computer?! no!

They have 1 key for each version of windows, which also comes with pre-activation files. So, if you you another disk, say a normal OEM cd or a cd from a different manufacturer... the BIOS strings no longer match what the preactivation files state that it should be... and makes you activate regardless of what key you use. On a lighter note... they key doesn't really matter... as long as you have a "VLK Royalty OEM" key (the one on the restore cd's... not the side of the computer) and the original preactivation files (also on restore cd's for that manufacturer) it will work.

And the reason that they need to put the key on the side of the system is because, if they didn't they would be breaking copy write laws by not providing a "Certificate of authenticity" with the copy of windows.

...wow, that was a head full. Hope that helps.