Cleartype: Getting rid of it COMPLETELY

RyanJW

Have you tried deleting the SegoeUI font file and setting Tahoma as a substitute (or MS Sans Serif, if you do not want font smooting in the interface) in the HKLM\Software\Windows NT\FontSubstitutes registry key?

You can do that and it's one of the first things I tried, but unfortunately if you do replace with any font it doesn't seem to be displayed correctly. Specifically, it appears too large, in bold, and it'll be clipped by the window as the windows only seem to be sized to Segoe UI's scale and cannot adapt. This very frequently results in you not being able to see half of what a dialogue says, etc.

But even if you do that, the parts of Windows which use Windows Presentation Foundation will still render the text in Cleartype because it's got no other font rendering technology to use. This comprises large amounts of the OS, the most obvious place being Computer (My Computer).

Edited by RyanJW

You can do that and it's one of the first things I tried, but unfortunately if you do replace with any font it doesn't seem to be displayed correctly. Specifically, it appears too large, in bold, and it'll be clipped by the window as the windows only seem to be sized to Segoe UI's scale and cannot adapt. This very frequently results in you not being able to see half of what a dialogue says, etc.

But even if you do that, the parts of Windows which use Windows Presentation Foundation will still render the text in Cleartype because it's got no other font rendering technology to use. This comprises large amounts of the OS, the most obvious place being Computer (My Computer).

If I recall correctly, Windows Vista uses SegoeUI in size 9, instead of Tahoma size 8. Maybe if you change the font size for all elements from 9 to 8 if will help (at least, where it is not hardcoded).

About WPF using ClearType, does it happen even if you use MS Sans Serif instead of Tahoma? At least in XP, bitmap fonts can't be smoothed in any way.

My idea? You set the font smoothing to standard and the font to Tahoma 8. Then you grab a bitmap font editor (they should exist since Windows 3.0, shouldn't they?), create a copy of MS Sans Serif, change the name, add a size 9 and copy the size 8 bitmaps to it (and set the height too?) and then do that whole delete SegoeUI thing, setting the substitute to the font you created.

I have also this same problem, Cleartype looks very bad in every display I have tried. I have also tried changing fonts etc. but the only way to get Vista usable and completely free of Cleartype crap is to use Appearance Settings and change Color scheme to Windows Standard (and of course also disable Cleartype via Effects menu). So that makes me wonder is WPF is still active with Windows Standard theme? Maybe Cleartype could be disabled via editing Vista Glass/Default theme with some theme editor. Has anyone tried it?

Do you Cleartype lovers also find the Vista installation screens nice looking? First time I saw them I could not believe my eyes, awful looking fonts with large color blocks all over.

Cleartype is a technology designed for LCDs and LCDs alone (based on the fact that lcd color pixels come in 'stripes' of red, green and blue; CRTs have squares instead). Therefore on CRTs it might just look like blurred text.

Anyways, it increases the perceived horizontal resolution almost 3x. It also makes text easier to read. The difference is very obvious when I have to open a remote-desktop connection to another comp (where cleartype doesn't work). The thin, line-style font that greets me is hard on the eyes...

Be sure you are using a LCD and are using the native resolution instead of some distorted resized values. At 1280x1024, the pixels are so small that the color shift should not be recognizable. The downside is that at least on XP, pressing PrintScreen saves the image AFTER font filtering.

It doesn't seem possible to convince those who like Cleartype that to some of us it just doesn't look right.

I'm using it on a 24-inch LCD that runs with a native resolution of 1920x1200, and I can still perceive the colour fringing. Indeed, even if I sit far back from my desk it still disturbs my eyes and it inevitably leads to headaches or discomfort if prolonged.

I truly envy those of you who can enjoy Cleartype.

While I appreciate the efforts to help, can anyone still replying to this thread please read it first? As we've already established, disabling it in the appearance area does not disable Cleartype in many parts of the operating system, and even the comments on that page complain about the same thing.

For the time being I'll just make do with the fonts looking like crap throughout the OS since at least they're okay in my web browsers and start menu, and hope eventually a real toggle is offered by Microsoft. Maybe even in service pack one.

• 2 weeks later...

only WinXP, 2003 and Vista have the Cleartype feature, Xenomorph. older versions of Windows don't have it.

but thats the equivalent of saying "every version of Windows sold in the last half decade uses ClearType".

True, BUT the way YOU say it sounded somewhat vague and can confuse some people, Xenomorph.

Better if you said "Every version of Windows sold in the last half-decade STARTING from WinXP to the current release of Windows use ClearType." < now THIS sounds more accurate AND clear to anybody who don't understand

Quote from Microsoft's Cleartype FAQ:

Q. Does Microsoft plan to provide an update to enable ClearType on Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows ME or Windows 9x?

A. No.

And they do NOT need to use Cleartype on their machines, Xenomorph. You just don't seem to fully understand RyanJW's situation.

If he doesn't want to use Cleartype and wants to get rid of it from his Vista machine, that's fine with him. I have no problem with that. NOBODY should force RyanJW to like Cleartype, not even I nor you, Xenomorph.

For me, I can have Cleartype enabled on the XP/Vista laptops and disabled on my desktop machine with WinXP using the Viewsonic CRT monitor. Cleartype isn't essential for my CRT monitors anyway.

Edited by erpdude8

While I appreciate the efforts to help, can anyone still replying to this thread please read it first? As we've already established, disabling it in the appearance area does not disable Cleartype in many parts of the operating system, and even the comments on that page complain about the same thing.

For the time being I'll just make do with the fonts looking like crap throughout the OS since at least they're okay in my web browsers and start menu, and hope eventually a real toggle is offered by Microsoft. Maybe even in service pack one.

I guess Cleartype can't be disabled completely in Vista no matter what you do. I'm really sorry, RyanJW.

Looks like the tips on disabling Cleartype on the web aren't enough to help you out.

perhaps you should TELL Microsoft (email them or call them) about your Cleartype problem and maybe they'll add the option of disabling Cleartype throughout the entire Vista OS.

It won't happen unless you take action and explain your Cleartype problems/suggestions to Microsoft, RyanJW (and that MS follows up on their promises).

Edited by erpdude8

• 7 months later...

it can be disabled but only in the registry, the gui control panel setting only disables it for text in notepad etc. The cleartype on dialog boxes and such can be disabled I will try to find the setting I changed and post here tommorow.

XP has cleartype disabled by default, and 90% of people don't change from defaults, so it will be a new experience for people.

I also used to think that Cleartype was bad, as I had a CRT, but it looks much better on a LCD. In my experience anyhow.

Edited by naelphin

• 1 year later...
XP has cleartype disabled by default, and 90% of people don't change from defaults, so it will be a new experience for people.

I also used to think that Cleartype was bad, as I had a CRT, but it looks much better on a LCD. In my experience anyhow.

I don't see how that's even possible. You probably don't use the native 1:1 resolution on your LCD, because I'm never bothered with sharpness of type. The harder the edges, the more legible the fonts are to me. Oh and yes, the color-noise it generates is awfully distracting too.