New AMD Socket?

BombaTwist

So i was talking to my uncle last week, and he told me that if i wanna start a new build, i should wait for the new AMD socket to come out, and buy the high-end motherboard for that socket, and go on from there.

My question is, anyone have a clue what the new socket is going to be called? When it will come out?

You have plenty of time to put some ca$h away. Because those new socket and cpu's are going to be late. Like next year late. That's not counting all those fixes their going to need to get them running properly.

If you start saving now. You MAY have money left to buy some DDR3 memory.

Like ripken said, check out WIKI for AM2+, AM3 and AMD 700 chipset series.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you should get an AM2 system with DDR2 memory. You can put an AM2+ or an AM3 in the same socket later, but cannot use DD3 memory.

From what I have been reading, (aussie pc mags june 07), you can put AM2+ in AM2 socket boards, but not AM3.

Ill see if I can dig up a link.

Wikipedia says yes :) I think its possible because the AM2-AM3 have the memory controller built-in.

Socket AM2+ is an intermediate successor to socket AM2, which features DDR2 SDRAM and HyperTransport 3.0 support. Socket AM2+ chips can plug into a socket AM2 motherboard, but operates only with HyperTransport 2.0.

AMD has announced that Socket AM3 processors will be able to run on Socket AM2 motherboards, but not vice-versa. AM3 processors will have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2