Windows File Protection & nlite

eddie11013

Just wondering. My DVD burner quick working. That is to say, I can read and write to CD’s & CD-RW’s with my DVD burner. However, I can’t view a data (my music files) DVD & I can’t play a store bought DVD. Yes I have “WIN DVD” installed to be able to view a movie. I understand that the ‘driver’ stuff for the DVD comes from the windows xp operating system. Since, every time I made a unattended nlite CD, with the “sfc” windows file protection disabled, will I’m just trying to fix my DVD burner. When I ran the sfc /scannow, it of course, came up needing a bunch of files, which I can understand since what we’re doing, cutting out programs and stuff. Question: Should I try and find all the missing stuff, some ‘dll’s, exe’s, lex, ime and reinstall same? Obviously, could simply be that it was its time and I need to buy a new burner. Just looking for options.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Eddie

sfc should now only come up asking to restore 4 or 5 files during an sfc /scannow, and these are related to signing, not missing files.

Can you tell us during an sfc /scannow how many times you are prompted? Just click cancel each time you are prompted and count them, if you get more than 10 just tell us that.

Also, sfc won't be affecting your ability to use your DVD drive. Your only way to test if nLite had any impact on it at all is to install Windows from a non-nLited disc and see if you have the same problem with your DVD drive. I'm guessing in your nLite build you have removed some drivers or something that DVD drives need (?)

Thanks for lending a hand, ElTorqiro

SFC stated there were a total of 26 missing files. While I basically think that this is not related to my DVD problem, I should note that when I visited the windows update site, it added some very old 'critical updates', which was a surprise since I monitor this area carefully. There were a total of '5' updates in the "KB87....KB88" range. I previously didn't have any updates in that range.

To clarify, I didn't like the way the computer was acting and since I thought there might be something wrong with the burner, I decided to reformat with an nlited unattended CD that only had my windows xp pro & sp2 slipstreamed. So there were 'no' components removed or adjusted etc. This is the backup I use to begin any nlited Cd's that I would later slipstream the hot fixes & programs, etc. Maybe I just answered my own question about the nlite process & the DVD. Still there are those 26 missing files!

Suggestions,

Eddie

Did you use 1.3.5 or the new 1.4b version of nLite? Under the old 1.3.5 one, yeah you will get WFP/SFC popups, you will get some for signing problems (unavoidable, but only about 4 or 5 max) and some for other files such as fp40ext.inf. Some people are reporting some popups with 1.4b, too, but we've yet to track down precisely what they are removing or adding etc, so we may be a while finding what is causing that for them.

Still, this won't be related in any way to your DVD burner not working. If you haven't chosen to remove any files or components with nLite and only have XP Pro with SP2 then it will be the same as if you use a non-nLited cd. You certainly shouldn't be getting 26 popups if you haven't selected any components for removal. Check your event log as WFP/SFC puts entries in there for each file it tries to replace so you'll be able to see which files it is complaining about.

Also, was the DVD drive working *before* you visited the Windows Update site? That is, did you try it on the first bootup after Windows was installed?

If you end up finding it was the burner that was broken, can you let us know anyway as it can then be crossed off my list :) Thanks!

I used the 1.3.5 version, however, I didn’t get any popup’s from just running the installation, since it “did“ have the ‘sfc‘ thingy disabled. I only got the popup’s when running the ‘sfc /scannow’. Still 26 seems a lot. Most seemed to be related to “Korean” language stuff. Some were “IME” exe’s, which seem to be not needed. Hmmm.

I didn’t try the DVD until after going to windows update. The particular DVD that I tried first, was the one that I had my music on, and it had a lower priority for downloading / installing, after a reformat.

Thanks for your input,

Eddie

Thanks for the update, eddie, the popups in 1.3.5 are expected as SFC hadn't been fixed in that version. Try it with the new 1.4b version to see how you go with that.

Regarding the DVD drive, though, I don't have any ideas apart from trying it before you do the Windows Updates. Other things like reseating the cables and stuff I guess are out of scope of the nLite discussion, though, but I hope you can get it working :)

• 2 months later...

I have not used Nlite for quite a while , as my PC's been running just fine. But am needing to build an install CD for my mother's PC. Installed the latest Nlite & set to work, but am a bit confused by the wording of the SFC protection option

Does leaving it *Enabled* (default) PREVENT SFC from working or allow it? I wish to turn it off for this install CD.

post-20418-1187470729_thumb.jpg