Problems with my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

Brando569

Hey guys I finally got my DFI board off of ebay brand new (everything was still sealed) and now its giving me problems. when I first installed it (I made sure to ground myself after what happened last time) and booted it up it gave me the normal "CMOS Checksum bad- defaults loaded press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup) so I hit f2 and went into setup, the wierd thing is that when I press any key (such as the down arrow) it works but then immediately freezes (the keyboard is a USB logitech elite).

I've had this happen before under linux where it wouldnt support the keyboard when it was connected to USB but if I connected it to the PS/2 port it would work fine and I also had the same problem (the machine freezing) when I would go to the boot drive selection (not in the BIOS but when I would press f12 during POST) on my asus board that just died (it would happen randomly).

I think I remember seeing someone say that the DFI boards are really picky about which memory you use, the current memory I have in there is 2 sticks of Kingston HyperX DDR400.

I figured this time instead of going into setup I would just hit f1 and see if it would boot to the vista dvd but it tried to boot to the HDD instead. It also was saving the initial configuration (I guess). It said "verifying DMI Pool....... Done" then I think it said something about saving the setup. Then it would reboot and now it just beeps at me (gives me about a second long beep then waits about 2 or 3 seconds and gives the same second long beep, ad infinitum)

Also can someone help me understand the "debug lights" on the board, theres only like a sentence about it in the manual. When I first power on the computer all lights are on, then it goes down one by one and now the one all the way to the left stays on. I think I remember seeing that was the CPU light, I really hope that the CPU isnt fried along with the motherboard, if it is I'm going to be extremely mad and say F this and buy a socket AM2 board along with a AMD 64 x2 6000.

Edited by Brando569

the PSU is a 500watt Enermax Liberty, the 24 pin (+12 volt?) connector is connected and so is the 4 pin (+5 volt?) connector, theres a lead coming out of the PSU that looks like a fan connector, ive always wondered what it was im guessing its to monitor the fan speed of the PSU, correct?

i've read the manual and it isnt very helpful for troubleshooting.

Also would anyone be able to recommend a good POST read (port 80h) card that is reasonably priced ($5-$50)ive found a few but have no idea on how good they work, im sick and tired of trying to decipher these stupid beeps

Edit: It seems it was a ram problem, originally i had the ram sticks in the yellow slots, so i took one stick out and left the other in and it beeped infinitely again. So I moved it down one to the orange slot and powered it on, only a single "everything's ok" beep, I went into the CMOS waited about 15 seconds and moved the selector bar around, it didnt freeze. So I powered it off and added the other stick to the other orange slot, voila it worked! Thanks Ripkin! It still wouldnt hurt if you could direct me to one of those adapters though ;) i tried searching for it on google but the only that kept coming up was either pinouts or actual (round) wall adapters for laptops

Good thing you pointed that out, I just noticed that small 5v connector in the manual and tried using the small lead that I was talking about earlier from the PSU but it was a 3 pin connector and the 5v is a 4 pin. I just checked the box to see if there was an adapter for it, there wasnt. Now im in big trouble do you know of anywhere I can buy an adapter like that??

Also when I cleared the CMOS and then Enabled "Safe Boot" it went back to how it was before the infinite beeps and no video output. The last debug light I was talking about is the "Video Card Detected" LED and this is the one that stays on, for everything to be ok (System Booting) the manual says they should all be off. If that LED stays on does that mean the Video Card idnt detected? Thats odd since I do have video output on my monitor.

Edited by Brando569

if you look at my edit you see everything is A-OK thanks to you :) I lied i do have that mini 5v lead i expected it to be on one of the 2 hardwired bundles of wires instead its on one of the modular plugs. thanks for the help buddy.

Edited by Brando569

Yeah, DFI's are kinda picky on RAM. I had an issue with my LP RDX-200 UT, after I updated my bios. I called DFI for support, and he has me do a CMOS clear, and then move my ram from the yellow slots (1/3) to the orange slots (2/4), and it worked perfectly after that. I guess DFI's have an issue with using the 1/3 slots in dual channel, and/or using 4 sticks of ram. My suggestion - Keep it @ 2 sticks on 2/4.