Vista on 128 MB Ram

gosh

Both my computers dont meet the min req on 512 MB ram. This was unacceptable to me, there has to be an easy way around that. After 2 hours of doing various things, i got vista installed on my pc with 256 MB Ram. My computer with 128 MB pc133 ram blue screened, but it did file copy

To bypass all the vista compliance checks type:

setup.exe /nosyscheck

This will bypass the hardware and software checks. On my pc with 256 MB ram it runs fun. And btw: looking at the source and the log files it appears the min ram is actually 387 MB Ram, not 512.

I found this out on my own without any inet access or any help, so sorry if this has already been posted/discovered. There's a bunch of hidden switches in winsetup.dll

~gosh

I installed Vista on a 256 MB RAM laptop in a 6 GB partition using a sysprepped image. See my post here Install Vista on System that doesn't Meet Requirements.

Evidently, in order to use a switch (setup.exe /nosyscheck) you must run it from within Windows, so you'll have to have Windows installed.

I started from scratch with no Windows.

Runs a little slow on 256 MB ram; certain apps take a long time to load but once they are running, not a big problem.

I wouldn't want to install the "higher" editions of Windows Vista like Vista Ultimate, Vista Business or Vista Enterprise on a PC with 256 Mb of RAM. these editions take up a lot of HD space and RAM

Runs a little slow on 256 MB ram; certain apps take a long time to load but once they are running, not a big problem.

yeah but only if you install FEW or no third party apps installed under this type of configuration. If a lot of third party programs load at startup on a Vista machine with 256Mb memory, watch out! You could be waiting for almost an eternity for Vista to finish loading all those drivers & programs at startup.

gosh, I recommend saving some money (or make some money by getting a job) and then buy two 256Mb PC 133 RAM sticks or one 512Mb PC133 RAM stick.

lucky me, the custom made PC I have can use two 512Mb PC 133 RAM modules for up to 1Gb of RAM max - enough to run Vista

why would you even want to install Vista on anything less than 512/1024?

i'd think it would be *painful* trying to get something to run with so little ram.

even for XP, 256 megs is a joke.

256 is a good minimum for Windows 2000

512 is a good minimum for Windows XP

1024 is a good minimum for Windows Vista

Vista runs best with 2-4 gigs RAM.

you're only fooling yourself if you think 128 or 256 megs is "good enough".

why would you even want to install Vista on anything less than 512/1024?

i'd think it would be *painful* trying to get something to run with so little ram...

Maybe they're just trying to see how fast (or slow) Vista would run on their old computer, and don't have plans to use it on the long run.

Yes, it's just for testing/playing around. My real system has 2 GB. My laptop is old - has 256 MB. It's pointless for me to upgrade to 512 MB when I'm not relying on it for anything except casual browsing. I installed Vista to see if I can get a system that can run without having to twiddle my thumbs for apps to load.

I've installed Office2007, Acrobat 8. Office takes quite some time to load but once loaded, runs okay. Acrobat is fast; probably because of speed launcher.

Startup is not that bad. Shutdown takes forever. Will be reinstalling XP pretty soon, though.

Anyway... just for fun.

nice find gosh. i think this can be also done by changing hexadecimal values in winsetup.dll. i dont know exactly which values to change, but this switch method is easy than that :).

btw...how u found it? caz thr isnt any switch shown like "nosyscheck" for setup.exe!

AMIT

Edited by amit_talkin

• 2 weeks later...

As already mentioned, setup.exe does NOT mention those switches, they're hidden.... (probably reshack winsetup.dll for them)

gosh, can you post the rest of the hidden switches for us please?

you know, even running a fully vlited version of Vista Home on 256 Mb of RAM is hard since it only leaves about 5-7 Mb Free so running Vista on 128 Mb.....well it will run but that is it :)

You know, I don't care how third world your computer is. If you don't have enough ram, why are you running Vista? Hell, if you don't have enough ram for XP, why are you running that? It just blows me away.

Relax.

Sorry to say this, but if you dont have something useful to say, then dont say it!

You dont need to mention that it wont run, etc...... Considering that the intention of the OP is to just see how far vista will go. Its about testing & tweaking!!!!!!

Relax.

Sorry to say this, but if you dont have something useful to say, then dont say it!

You dont need to mention that it wont run, etc...... Considering that the intention of the OP is to just see how far vista will go. Its about testing & tweaking!!!!!!

i agree!

gosh, nice find.

At first I thought like "****, we hacked the file for that...", however this doesn't make that 256mb hack obsolete because that one works by booting the CD as well.