[question] How do I disable ISA slots?

yugiohadvance

yes i have checked the isa. still i wanna really reprogram something for when the slots are free to completely disable them. for online pci slots that i have in the system. is there a program that can help me do this?

Edited by yugiohadvance

I agree with Ponch and very much doubt there are any resources used by them. In case it would be, then it wouldn't matter very much anyway.

What are you trying to acheive by disabling them?

You should have in mind that some mainboard components are considered ISA and use IRQs, but those should not be disabled (such as system timer, real time clock, IDE-channels).

Hello.....first off, REDUNDANT! no need whatsoever.....now since I have been equally polite here, I would like to remind you that I do not have the power to enforce politeness but being that I've been a member since 2003 and have spoken with a LOT of people, I have to say, that there's a track history on this site which would be nice if it were followed:

DON'T BE RUDE OR DEMANDING! ALWAYS BE POLITE AND PATIENT!

Have a nice day and thank you for your interest in MSFN.

is there anyway to view the iISA, to cousemize with ones u wanna turn off or what?

huhuh i don't know what the heck u r talking. don't com in and use's cap's thank you. u r beeing rude. don't reply back. u just angered me pushed the wrong bottens.

also if you don't have nothing to say aboutthis post don't post.

also read the rules http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18408

Edited by yugiohadvance

Language barriers? Please don't "get your hackles up", guys!

I agree with Ponch and very much doubt there are any resources used by them. In case it would be, then it wouldn't matter very much anyway.

What are you trying to acheive by disabling them?

You should have in mind that some mainboard components are considered ISA and use IRQs, but those should not be disabled (such as system timer, real time clock, IDE-channels).

MOBO's that have both PCI and ISA slots usually have at least one (even if only one ISA slot) "shared" between the two "next to each other". In other words, (since ISA and PCI cards are "reversed") either an ISA or PCI card can be placed in that position. I have a 56K "real modem" (not WinModem) in my ISA slot (reducing the number of PCI cards I can insert by one) and it only uses the IRQ assigned to that card.

In other words, the quote shown here applies (both DL's and Ponch's).

Trust me/them! You are not using any resources of the ISA slot if nothing is in it. Just put a PCI card (which should be immediately next to it) in and use it; the PCI card will then use resources. Besides, I know of no way of "disabling" ISA slots... never heard of it!

There is, however (in the System) usage of a very small amount of I/O space used by "ISAPNP Read Data Port" (six whole bytes in my case - woohoo!) and a "PCI to Isa Bridge" (which does not use any resources), so these are irrelevant anyway...

Hope this explanation is sufficiently clear... Peace, Brothers!

:wacko::blink:

how about redirecting the IRQ'S from the isa, then someway of disabling teh isa slot which it has memory. also there is memory on the board can be used whitch it isn's beeing used by windows xp. is this possible?
... and where do you see an IRQ and/or memory being used by the ISA slot?

Go to Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information

Now click on the "+" sign in the left pane next to Hardware Resources

Now click on each-and-every category under it. Report back if you see anything that has the word "ISA" in it. If you see nothing with that word in it then you are not using any resources (IRQ, Memory, etc.) by that ISA slot...

Or do you have an ISA card in it (not a PCI card) as described above? If so, then what is it? ISA cards are 16-bit old-technology but still used for, e.g., a Network Card or Modem or Sound Card. As I said, I have an ASKey 56K v90 ISA card in my ISA slot and I would be foolish to disable it just to "gain resources" because then I couldn't use it...

Oh yeah, how about giving us an idea of what kind of computer you have? Brand name, model, etc. Not once have you told us, so how can you help you any further? Shut it done, unplug it, take off the cover, and see if there is an ISA slot that has a card in it. If you don't know what an ISA or PCI slot looks like then do a Google search; some web site most undoubtedly will have pictures... (ISA slots are usually brown or black, PCI slots are usually white or beige or tan; the SLOT, not the CARD in the slot). Please be kind and don't drive us nuts without giving some kind of information...