[Fixed] - Censoring on MSFN?

I noticed that I typed i-d-i-o-t in a post and it got changed to id***. Huh? Is MSFN censoring now, or did I just never notice before? I don't mind; I'm not really a huge fan of bad words (although id***'s not that bad) but that does seem kinda odd. Anyone?

And upon testing, it's interesting to see that d-a-m-n (****) gets totally blacked out, whereas the F-word still shows the F (f***). Oh and how do you do that? I'd be interested to know for my own use...

:unsure::wacko::blink:

OK, I just never noticed before. I don't mind; I actually kind of like the idea of keeping the bad words out. One thing though. Your analogy is off. 4th graders don't curse a lot, but 6th and 7th graders do. WAY too much. Those little *******! (I typed those as stars). What happens when it's part of another word? I can't think of any examples right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't filtering id*** a bit abusive? As far as I'm concerned, it's nearly a synonym for stupid and why wouldn't I say I made something stupid? :o

correct me if i am wrong, but calling someone else an id*** is NOT nice. Calling urself an id*** is upto you, you dont even have to publish it online do you?

What I meant was mostly we can write such a word in a post without trying to insult anybody, including yourself, but just by not paying crucial attention to every single word you write.

Anyway, you're the boss so you're right. :P

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Personally, I wish the censoring was an option available for each user so that the ones of us that would like to turn the censoring off, could.

until now i dont know if this modification is out there... let me know if you find it :)

Personally, I wish the censoring was an option available for each user so that the ones of us that would like to turn the censoring off, could.

until now i dont know if this modification is out there... let me know if you find it :)

hmm, i could make some code to do this. it all depends on how the censoring works. does ipp keep the original text and just edits how it dispalys, or does it actaully change the original text..

On another board, before the migration from IPB (v1) to punbb, we had a filter for echanblard*.

punbb supports this but the filter probably got lost during the migration and now *all* instances of echanblard are displayed as is.

I don't think the filters were removed before the migration (plus would be hard) so I rather think the text is saved unchanged and then modified only when sent to the user.

*puke

hmm, i could make some code to do this. it all depends on how the censoring works. does ipp keep the original text and just edits how it dispalys, or does it actaully change the original text..
There are still ways to display them, if the poster REALLY wants them shown :rolleyes:

Examples:

• i d i o t
  • I.DIOT
  • IDI0T

this way when you create a filter, list all the possible ways of displaying these words for it to become effective.

• 1 month later...

On some forums they just use other letters , F*** , S*** .......,most sites dont filter that, as you can see msfn also does not.

You can just say what you mean... don't need to put that kind of language on the boards --Zxian

Edited by Zxian