How To Make A Folder Private

civil

i installed my xp by making the file system NTFS but when i try to make a folder private for protection as a specification of the NTFS i can't do it mostly.

for example i create a new folder in D:\ put some files in it and try to make it private but i can't :rolleyes: .the only folder that i could make private was my user account folder under the documents and settings folder.

please help! what's the good side of NTFS if the security options don't work :)

right click the folder and go to sharing and security, choose the security tab, then remove every group except administrator, and give admin full control. that will make it so that only people in the administrators group can access it.

of course make sure that you are in the admin group, and anyone that you don't want to see that folder isn't in the admin group

ok !

I'll Solve it for you !

Just do excactly what I say :

First of all you must have more than one user accounts on your XP . for making a Dirve, Directory, File ,etc privait, you could just limit other users that have logged in by thair own account, not your account !

any way !

- Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tool/Local Security Policy

- now go to Local Policies/Security Options- Find the key named : Network access : Sharing and security modle for local accounts

- Rigt click on it, chose Properties and change the value to : Classic - local users authenticate as themselvs

- Press OK and Restart your computer

- now when you go to a Dirve, Directory, File, etc properties you would see a new Tab called Security, in this place you can chose any uese names and make Limitations for them !

That is all !

If there is any questions , feel free to askin' me !

:):rolleyes::D:D

thank you so much lord :D:rolleyes: at last i can own my folders.i don't know how secure it is but it's good to see that my folders are inaccessible when i login as a different user.

beginning to think that nobody knows about this.everybody is in charge with the unattended cd :D .thanks again.

do u know any site that tells changing this kind of security options in XP Pro.i don't want to take your time every time i get stuck :)

" i don't know how secure it is "

No body could accec your files and folders until they'er loged in as your account !

I think there is no other way 'cause I've searchig this stuff for over one and half year(!) and found nothing ! I even havn't seen the method that I've mentioned anywhere ! I found it my self by trailing and error !!!!

:):rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
ok !

I'll Solve it for you !

Just do excactly what I say :

First of all you must have more than one user accounts on your XP . for making a Dirve, Directory, File ,etc privait, you could just limit other users that have logged in by thair own account, not your account !

any way !

- Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tool/Local Security Policy

- now go to

- Rigt click on it, chose Properties and change the value to : Classic - local users authenticate as themselvs

- Press OK and Restart your computer

- now when you go to a Dirve, Directory, File, etc properties you would see a new Tab called Security, in this place you can chose any uese names and make Limitations for them !

That is all !

If there is any questions , feel free to askin' me !

;);););)

Why can't I find these options in the Administrative Tools?

• Local Policies/Security Options
  • The key named Network accessSharing and security modle for local accounts

I put a print screen pic down here in case yer confused. Any Help would be great. Just Click the pic

jeeba3mh.jpg

Edited by dloc888

This method works but not really secure ... if one user right click on the protected folder, go to security and Advanced option -> become the owner of the folder and it can modify right and all are accessible ...

The best secure is the Cryptography solution ... with Right click on files/folder ... Attributs > Crypt ... you must login with the account ... if you format the system ... you are lost the folder ...

Based on your screenshots you've either got XP Home or you have Simple File Sharing enabled on XP Pro.

If you have Pro you should disable it so you can use the real security settings...if you have Home I think you're stuck. If you can get to where it looks like this:

post-27839-1130412569_thumb.jpg

Then you can tighten down the access. You could remove everyone except one user, resulting in access denied to everyone else. You can still bypass this if you have the user rights (Admins), but it keeps most everyone else out (Users).

You can disable Simple File Sharing in Pro by loading Explorer and going to Tools > Folder Options > View. In the white box it's the last on the list...disable that and you should be in business. This will also give you access to fine tune the share settings if you're on a network.