nLite 1.4 beta - Back to the roots

nuhi

@Nuhi

Sorry, I completely forgot about the post concerning the "Hardwaremanager"

Actually it´s the "Devicemanager" option : "Show hidden devices". :blushing:

If the option is checked in nlite, the hidden devices aren´t shown and after selecting the option manually, Windows forgets it after the next powerdown.

If it´s not checked in nlite, the manual selection is kept and the hidden devices are shown by default.

Agi

I am using your progam and just love it!!!!!! Great Job!!!!!

BUT - I am having trouble with it rebooting my computer.

I have all of my CD's, Drivers, updates, etc on the network. Everything works great until it is finishing the process right before it goes into the Make Boot CD or Image option. As soon as it finishes making my install it reboots my computer. I can see it flash up with the success screen with the size of the potential CD or image, but then it reboots my computer.

Anyone having this problem?

Ken

Hi melnikok !

This could have several reasons.

Since the last patchday, there have been mentioned some issues regarding the .NET Framework, which is needed to run nlite.

The last time I read something like this happening, the problem was solved by de- and reinstalling .NET and nlite.

Agi

Since you didn´t fill out your profile (so many posts and such a mistake ;) ), I don´t know what OS you´re using, but can´t see any new bugs, for W2K.

Some were even fixed, so it´s definately better, than the 1.3.5 .

For XP, just look at threads, there (still) seems to be a problem with SFC/ WFP.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Wow, new version and many many good looking changes. I tried this out on a new HP DL140 G3 installing Win2k3 R2 with SP2 slipstreamed into the source cause the SFC issue was a bit irksome.

Sorry to say I found many regressions compared to the previous stable. So many I don't have the time to try and make a complete list. I found the start menu was missing nearly everything (no command prompt, no windows explorer) Quick launch was displayed, but empty. Automatic Updates service not installed. I started fixing icons and things by hand but now I'm finding so many b0rked things I'm giving up and just faster/easier to remake CD with last version of nLight. Many other minor settings were also not as selected (some my Computer->properties->advanced tab->performance settings, start menu settings, right-click My Computer settings).

Hopefully others will elucidate some of the particulars here. See ya in a few builds...

jgurtz, and it never occurred to you that it's more likely that your install failed and the settings were aborted before applied than that I made 100 mistakes at once?

Look at your windows\setuperr.log

Unfortunately the WFP/SFC problem still exists. We hardly tested on four different machines with Windows XP Home SP1 and SP2 and XP Pro with SP2. Same problem.

Also we find a bug in tweaks. Added shortcut to Evetnlog viewer (eventvwr.msc) to context menu of My computer doesnt work. Shortcut is created, but error "Access denied" occurs in all our installations.

Isn't this tweak "Boot and Shutdown-Disable automatic restart on System Failure" supposed to set the following registry key?

; disable automatic restart in the event of a BSOD

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000

On my last actual install and a couple of test installs with Virtual PC, AutoReboot was not set to 0 also looking in system properties automatic restart was still enabled.

The tweak is listed in nlite.ini:

[T]

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl","AutoReboot",0x00010001,0

Edited by FrizzleFry

Well, that is good to know, Martin. I guess I am doing something which resets this somehow. I'll just leave it in my tweaks file for now.

I have just started playing with nLite for the last few weeks so I am still undecided about having nLite apply these tweaks or using my own tweak files after the install.