nLite 1.4 beta - Back to the roots

nuhi

I have run into a small bug while using nLite 1.4 beta:

Time zone 35 (USA Eastern) was put in the WINNT.SIF file as 035 which shows up in Windows XP Pro as Bogota, Quito, Lima. This time zone seems to have different daylight savings time settings than USA Eastern. Even though both these time zone are GMT-5 they are not equivalent. I manually edited the WINNT.SIF file and changed the 035 to 35 and the right time zone is set.

Sorry if this has been already reported.

Is there an option or tweak to disable Remote Assistance?

Great program BTW, I had heard/read about nLite before but this is the first time I actually started playing with it.

FF

Edited by FrizzleFry

@FrizzleFry

There is a 'Allow receiving Remote Assistance' tweak in nLite.

If you wan't to remove 'Remote Assistance' completely, then select 'Terminal Services' under 'Components > Services'. This will also remove the 'Remote Assistance' shortcut in the startmenu and the 'Remote Assistance' folder located in '%programfiles%'. Beware however, that this last option will additionally also break 'Remote Desktop', 'Fast User Switching' and 'Terminal Server'.

CU, Martin.

Thanks nuhi. I told you that there was a bug with WFP, and you should add the 1000hz option.... Finally you did it YEEESS ;)))(Not saying that i was first and want the credit.) im just so happy. Your my lover tonight lol.

Do we have a final release around the corner?.

Edited by wazer

FrizzleFry, interesting about the Timezones, gonna check that.

wazer, wazoo, my pleasure. No, the street is long, no corner in sight. Some explosion of nlite reports happened, gotta check it all and fix if needed, then RC probably.

nuhi, actually the time zone issue seems to be my screwup. I checked some of my older session files and found this:

TimeZone = (GMT-05:00) Bogota, Lima, Quito

So I probably picked the wrong time zone at first and then corrected it at some point. Sorry for the false report.

According the sysprep help file, the Bogota, Lima, Quito time zone is 045 and the USA Eastern time zone is 035.

FF

Edited by FrizzleFry

I've also got a problem that was mentioned a few pages before; that the DHCP service can't start a few other services also refuse to start. But those services aren't the real problem, I can't access other computers on my network but I do have access to the Internet.

When I try to access the network there are no errors, then I click on 'Workgroup' were all the PC's should be listed. Not even the PC itself can see itself, on all the other (nlited) PC's the network is fine. But from the PC that can't access the network, I can successfully ping the other PC's.

So I checked the session file looking something that I shouldn't have removed. I couldn't find anything also didn't use any of the tweaks that should disable network access.

These problems were there from the beginning when I first booted the PC up and connected the network cable, manually entered IP, DNS and gateway. The firewall was disabled and no other programs were installed yet. I also ran that network thing from XP, which I normally never use but that also didn't do the trick.

Is there anyone else experiencing these problems, or does anyone have a solution for this.

FrizzleFry, aa ok.

Radiance, what you're missing is Computer Browser, check it in the Services is it running. Normally it's either started or when you press start it says it's automatically off because it's not needed now. But if you get some error message then it's missing in action.

It usually fails if something like Firewall is removed (which you didn't remove as far as I got it). You can still access the other pcs with Explorer directly, type in address bar "\\computername", (without ").

Radiance, what you're missing is Computer Browser, check it in the Services is it running. Normally it's either started or when you press start it says it's automatically off because it's not needed now. But if you get some error message then it's missing in action.

It usually fails if something like Firewall is removed (which you didn't remove as far as I got it). You can still access the other pcs with Explorer directly, type in address bar "\\computername", (without ").

Computer Browser was indeed not running, so I set it to automatic and press start. Then I goto to Microsoft Windows Network --> Workgroup still no PC's. So I check the other PC's, and there it's working fine. So I try to use \\[computername] which gives a error:

'Windows cannot find \\Dell_optiplex. Check the spelling....

Weird so I try to ping that PC, and I get 4 successful responds.

So I tried something else, went to a working PC and opened up services.msc, and looked at all the started services, these services I also started at the non-working PC, this also had no effect. To be sure I also compared the gateway, subnet and gateway these were all the same, I also looked if they used WORKGOUP (not MSHOME or something else) this was also the same.

Something else I also notice is that the browsing from entire network --> Microsoft Windows Network --> Workgroup goes very fast, it's instantly. On all the other working PC's you've got to wait a second after you click on Microsoft Windows Network and also on Workgroup.

Edited by Radiance

When you started Computer browser did it start?

Also reboot once if you didn't.

And "Windows cannot find \\Dell_optiplex. Check the spelling...." can be only if you typed 1 backslash ( \ ) and not double ( \\ ) infront of the name.

Computers with Win XP (normal not nLited or anything) on which Share Internet Connection is enabled has similiar problems - do you share internet using that PC by any chance? If not please disregard this.

Edited by anonim1979

When you started Computer browser did it start?

Also reboot once if you didn't.

And "Windows cannot find \\Dell_optiplex. Check the spelling...." can be only if you typed 1 backslash ( \ ) and not double ( \\ ) infront of the name.

Computer browser did start, I didn't work so I did a reboot this also didn't resolve the problem.

And I'm sure I typed it write:

screensp6.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-20

Computers with Win XP (normal not nLited or anything) on which Share Internet Connection is enabled has similiar problems - do you share internet using that PC by any chance? If not please disregard this.

Nope Internet connection sharing is disabled.

But it's going a bit offtopic now, I've dealt with quiet some network problems and this one I just can't solve. Then I thought there was maybe a connection between my XP and nlite. So I looked here and found related problems, but is this a problem of nLite or just a wrong setting? I thought nLite cause of looked trough all the settings and these are fine.

Again I looked through the components I removed and saw that I removed ICS, maybe this is causing the problems, cause I never removed it before.

Hi,

I just tried out 1.4 beta and encountered an "old" error:

- Trying to install a new created slip stream CD ended up with the error message "nhelper" not found (endless) when logging on first time as administrator.

- Then I tried again using "nLite 1.3 Beta nHelper Bugfix", but still got the same error.

Any suggestions?

Error based on:

Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all available security bug fixes.

Hi, I'm new here but I may be able to help you.

I've been hunting a fix for this bug and have been able to fix mine. I stumbled across a post by Buttercup.

That suggestion by itself did not fix my problem so I had a "brainwave"[TM]. I downloaded the NHelper.exe file anyway, from the link in Buttercup's post, and dumped it straight into C:\Windows.

Once rebooted, no more error.

Hope this helps you.

Fallon