nLite 1.4 beta - Back to the roots

nuhi

maxkohl, you will be fine, there are some new tweaks (select all in 1.3.5, open with 1.4 and see which are unselected, they are new ones, unless some renamed), you decide if it's worth it. I reinstalled only because of the new removals.

powerup, never managed to repeat that issue, open a new topic with the preset attached if you get that error.

But test your driver.cab and sp2.cab with Winrar for corruption first.

nuhi - thanks! nice tip for the differences :)

powerup - definitely not nlite's fault - I once had that amdk6.sys issue myself (file error in the text phase? I searched the net to no avail...) and I can't remeber how, but it went away - I THINK it had smth to do with the order of the "hotfixes" that nlite applied for me (actually update packs & a few addons) - try to sort them or eliminate a few. but anyway - it came & went while using the same old nlite version, so it had to do with your own specific setup.

Hey guys I love this new version too but apparentlly i did somthing dumb..... I cant remember the exact wording for the option but it was somthing to do with the icon for exe files so none of my exe icons are showin up I just get the default exe icon instead. Is tehre a way to reverse that?

godlike73, try this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]

@="%1"

@ means Default on the right in the regedit.

String type (REG_SZ).

You may need to reboot for it to take effect.

Hi nuhi the new version is great but still the DHCP-Client problem is there even if you click to let it active it doesn't work initialy with some dependencies i didn't find out yet whats the couse, but there are allready 2 ways to fix this after the windows install is done on this forum

http://www.msfn.org/board/problems_nLite_install_t93000.html <- this is the first it fixes it by disabling the NetBt service dependency (you don't need to remove AFD and TCP just the NetBT dependency, most of the time ;) )

the other i don't find the link anymore but it was via the Hardware Manager and the hidden drivers and activate the NetBT (could also be done after the windows install via the registry or by triggering sc.exe as a workarround) service again but this NetBT service also disapears under certain (i think yet unkown dependency issues) do you have any idear what dependency could delete the NetBT service from the registry ? (and wich dependency stops it if it's not deleteted) as i said earlier clicking to prevent DHCP from working in nlites settings doesn't fix it that the NetBT service gets deleted from registry (or if it's not deleted stoped).

PS: The only thing i know for sure @ the moment the name of the dependencies in search here have nothing todo with NetBios.

Edited by CruNcher

My system: Windows XP SP2

After integration of SP2 the following files were not removed in the ISO:

- in the root Win51ic.sp1

- in \i386 Sp1.cab and Sp1.cat

Remove “DirectX Diagnostic Tool”, file Dxdiagn.dll still present.

Remove all languages except Dutch (Nederlands):

Input language English (USA), measurements Anglo-Saxon (should be metric).

I did not ask Nlite to remove the indication of the input language from the taskbar,

but it did remove it.

In Options/General Miscellaneous:

“Keep Windows Media Player compatibility” is grey and cannot be changed.

In Tweaks/Start menu “Use small icons in start panel” had no effect.

Hi,

I just tried out 1.4 beta and encountered an "old" error:

- Trying to install a new created slip stream CD ended up with the error message "nhelper" not found (endless) when logging on first time as administrator.

- Then I tried again using "nLite 1.3 Beta nHelper Bugfix", but still got the same error.

Any suggestions?

Error based on:

Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all available security bug fixes.

Edited by Qv90

Hi nuhi.

The 1.4b works very well, thanks a million. I have a question regarding your nlite.inf, cabbed in the I386 folder; the questions may be noob, but, I want to modify the file to include some reg tweaks specific to me and my system, that enhance the basic mods covered in nlite to, say, have all toolbars open inline, no text labels, windows maximized; all by default for all users, and so on. I, also, have a line that shows the classic Start Menu, Taskbar, Quick Launch for all users, small icons, classic Control Panel; it and Programs etc. scrolled by default, etc.... The reason I do not want to run a separate tweak file, as I have been doing, is once in a while, not often, and is sporadic-one in eight fresh installs, the admin account gets corrupted so that I have to reboot to get Group Policy editor to show all entries and operate-gpedit.msc. This requires a reinstall because the system will hang for 60 seconds or so at Logon when this occurs; possibly due to a conflict between the tweak inf's. Also, it is just tidier, more organized.

1)[nLite]

OptionDesc = "nLite"

Tip = "Windows component removal adjustments and tweaks."

Modes = 0,1,2,3

DelReg = P

AddReg = T

AddReg = TO

BitReg = B

AddReg = T

DelReg = P

I notice you have the various registry entries spread out over [T] [P] [C] [CT] [TO] ; do these various sections correspond to when in the setup process the various registry entries are written into the registry.

ie: the [CT] section contains most of the Current User Desktop, Taskbar/Start Menu, Explorer View settings. What would result if some of the lines were moved and augmented to [T]?

2) In my Tweaks.inf converted from reg files exported after a fresh install using Reg2Inf 4.0 an example of one line is:

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","StartMenuFavorites",0x10001,01,00,00,00

In nlite.inf the same line is:

HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","StartMenuFavorites",0x00010001,1

Why is nlite's representation of the DWORD value shorter?

Thanks so much

I've added my tweaks to nlite.inf in the [CT] section because they are HKCU, cabbed it and placed it back in I386; am now going to try it, will report back in a few hours or so.

....did not work; my additional reg files were not written during install, only the nlite ones....

Edited by RickSteele

I've added my tweaks to nlite.inf in the [CT] section because they are HKCU, cabbed it and placed it back in I386; am now going to try it, will report back in a few hours or so.

You dont have to add your tweaks manually to nLites INF... You can create a Entries_Waterver.ini with a [registry_addreg] section that will add it automatically example:

[general]
builddate=2007/06/27
description=Tweaks for nLite.
language=English
title=Tweaks
version=2.0
website=http://www.nliteos.com/

[registry_addreg]
;My RegEdit Favorites
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","RunOnce (HKLM)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","RunOnceEx (HKLM)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","RUN (HKLM)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","Uninstall (HKLM)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","RunOnce (HKCU)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","Run (HKCU)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites","Uninstall (HKCU)",0,"My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"

Edited by ricktendo64