nLite 1.4 beta - Back to the roots

nuhi

why beta? I hate "beta" word in software :(

I see WFP has been solved. I think I could wait for the final release. when you plan to release it?

loads more components added, which could mean loads of potential problems, so the 'beta' tag is to announce that

nuhi, one very small suggestion; when the user doesn't choose to integrate drivers, you could hide the 'integrating drivers' grey text from the Processing screen

Edited by bledd

open 'yer eyes a bit, the download links are on the upper left of the web page........

ok tell me where 1.4 is? (see attached screenshot)

edit: and yes, I have hit refresh, cleared my cache, etc.. I'll check from the browser on my phone just in case something is cached that isn't under my control.

edit2: wth.. ok I checked on my phone, and the download is there. I checked on one of the other computers at my desk, and I still just see 1.3.5.

I've just about had it with our parent company proxying our internet traffic.. downloading it on my phone now, then I'll sync it to my work pc via bluetooth.

thank heavens for HSDPA data connections :)

post-142847-1181765298_thumb.png

Edited by kansei

Thank you all for your support and compliments, appreciated.

Mauri, well I don't have 10-20 employees to test it before the release so I have to rely on you people, thus the beta for those who want to help and have fun with the new stuff.

bledd, yes, someone said the same about the components, will see about it.

kansei, try ctrl+f5 or wait a day, maybe your ISP keeps it cached.

Also it's on the other sites as well, Softpedia.com keeps their own mirrors now.

XtremeMaC, Vista is still much slower even with all removed and has problems with drivers and some software so this isn't much of a surprise ;)

Mauri, well I don't have 10-20 employees to test it before the release so I have to rely on you people, thus the beta for those who want to help and have fun with the new stuff.

You are right! I installed it anyway, :whistle:

Thank you for your time and dedication! :thumbup

So what if it's a beta? I find that software produced by just one person is usually better put-together than software from alot of "name-brand" corporations (i.e., Microsoft, Ahead Nero, Roxio, etc...) Too many cooks spoil the broth, I guess. If I find anything, though, I'll be sure to post it. ;)

nuhi,

Can this version be installed "on top of" 1.35, or do I need to uninstall the old one first?

As always, thx! Great work!! :thumbup

Edited by RaGhul

So what if it's a beta? I find that software produced by just one person is usually better put-together than software from alot of "name-brand" corporations (i.e., Microsoft, Ahead Nero, Roxio, etc...) Too many cooks spoil the broth, I guess. If I find anything, though, I'll be sure to post it.

In the end it's all down to how the project is managed. Most larger projects are

divided into sections with one individual or team being responsible for each

section. I've produced some very high quality software in this way and some

absolute disasters.

One of the most enduring problems I've had over the years is getting programmers

to stick to the specifications. Almost all of them have a "better way" to do

something or think something requested by the client "won't work" or "isn't

necessary".

With a project like nLite where a sole developer has absolute and undiluted

control, the quality of the product reflects the skills and dedication of the

individual.

Compare this with one case I had where an individual programmer didn't like the

interface specification he'd been given and wrote his own. Naturally this meant

his work wasn't compatible with that being done by others and to compound

matters he refused to rectify this stating that everyone else should use his

design as it was "much better than that s**t".

Rectifying that put us three months behind schedule which didn't look good at

project review meetings. I didn't tell the client this of course :) I explained

he had fallen ill and had to be replaced while quietly (and desperately) trying

to get senior management to take the matter seriously.

XtremeMaC, Vista is still much slower even with all removed and has problems with drivers and some software so this isn't much of a surprise ;)

You can say that again, tried Vista again the other day, switched back to XP because of poor in-game image quality and fps and much slower h264 playback.

But back on topic, awesome changelog nuhi, 1.4b be working good for me. :) Thanks!

RaGhul, yes it can, just to be clear every version can be installed on top of the older one, it's the Last Session preset that might cause some trouble if the GUI was changed but that issue rarely happened. And for those who wonder about Windows nLitement over older version nLitement, a big no.

Silvereyes, also a fact which people forget is that nLite isn't difficult from the programming standpoint once the basics are done, it's just about research and listening. Since we all research together it's not really just me, I would never find 99% of the issues people report on this forum and on my email. There is also a small alpha team which finds critical bugs before public release, they are a great help when it comes to critical bugs. As you said it's all about managing, coding is easy, once you learn it and don't change projects it's a boring side-task.