Mars Installer 1.5 - automatic software installation

Marsianin

Just released a new version - 1.2:

[+] Depended from other software items can be set with Depends=X where X is the main program number

[+] Section can have it's own checkbox to check/uncheck all it's children

[+] Now you can skip up to 1000 numbers in programs numbering, like [1]..[10]..[100]

[+] TXT_SureToStop variable added for "Are you sure to stop current installation" translation

[+] Installation proccess can be interrupted in debug mode

[+] %SYSTEMDRIVE% shortcut will reflect system drive letter (usually C:)

[+] Possibility to use path shortcuts in command line switches (except %ROOT%, %ROOTC%, %FOLDER%)

[+] More system shortcuts: %ALLAPPDATA%, %ALLDESKTOP%, %DOCUMENTS%, %ALLDOCUMENTS%, %STARTUP%, %ALLSTARTUP%

[+] Description text color can be changed with SmallFontColor variable

[*] Network path can be used now (beginning with '\\')

May me moderator can pin this topic?

P.S. Fixed with Google black list.

In the category sections, If the Collapsed= variable is set to Collapsed=1 Then the Checkbox=1 dies not work.

p.s. Tested this inthe default marsinst.ini so it is not my ini file that is at fault.

Thanks. Fixed. You can re-download it from the same location.

Excellent! Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just released new version - 1.3:

• Fixed %CDROM% determining on systems with more than one CD/removable drives
  • Main window width can be set with Width=X parameter
  • Added %BPATH% shortcut represents path where marsinst.exe was started from (%BDRV% only drive letter)
  • Radio buttons (Radio=1) to make it possible select only one program from a couple similar

Is there any moderator who can pin this topic?

Your program looks very nice and simple, but I have like 200apps to configure and it is a pain in you know where, when writing the ini file. Could it be possible to make a simple gui for the ini creation?

Is it possible to use UNC path on the %ROOT% variable i.e. \\server1\share\Applications ?

Keep up the good work you have done.

Hi Mars, I like your program, but there are some bugs in it.

One is the command numbering. If a number in the sequence is missing the program stop processing that item.

The %startup% variable seems to be defective. Attached are my ini and log files, and both times where I use %Startup% it fails

In the log are some other errors as well, which I can't explain. Please have a look at it and fix the problem, or let me know what's wrong in my ini file. I triple checked all the files, and they are where they are supposed to be.

Also I have one little feature request: more customizability. I would like to adjust all the window colors,etc.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work

marsinst.ini

marsinst.log.txt

@Marsianin

I'm glad to see you decided to add dependency checking although could you refine it slightly. At present (going by your example) if you unselect .NET Framework, Paint.NET becomes locked (greyed out).

Could you change this so that if you unselect .NET Framework, Paint.NET just becomes unselected as well and the reverse if selected.

Also, would you consider adding the ability to lock out (grey out) items already installed through an 'If Exists' system. I know I've asked this before but it's such a useful feature to have.

Thanks

-kof94

Ok, I'm gonna think about dependency.

As I understand if both .NET Framework and Paint.NET are unchecked and you're checking Paint.NET so .NET Framework will checks too?

About already installed apps...How do you think I'm going to check for if an application is already installed?

I can do it only by finding some file from that application.

May be I will do it that way:

[1]

IfNotExists=%PROGRAMFILESDIR%\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe

So this app will be available only when that file doesn't exists. If this is enougth - I will do it.

Ok, I'm gonna think about dependency.

As I understand if both .NET Framework and Paint.NET are unchecked and you're checking Paint.NET so .NET Framework will checks too?

Yep!

About already installed apps...How do you think I'm going to check for if an application is already installed?

I can do it only by finding some file from that application.

May be I will do it that way:

[1]

IfNotExists=%PROGRAMFILESDIR%\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe

So this app will be available only when that file doesn't exists. If this is enougth - I will do it.

Yep again :) .

This is basically how WPI does it with gcond/cond. Although you might want to change it to 'IfExists' not 'IfNotExists', that would defeat the point ;) .

You could always add both though, which would be better.

If you add these functions I think I'll more than likely switch from WPI to Mars Installer instead.

One final thing, if you're considering adding a graphical editor please provide it as a separate app. One of the main reasons I like Mars installer is because of it's size, there's no need to bloat it with such a tool. Well, thats my opinion anyway.

Edited by kof94

I think 'IfNotExists' sounds better in that context because 'if not exists then we can install it'.

And marsinst.exe will not grow much with GUI builtin. Just 300-500kb more. And it will be same ONE .exe file and one optional configurable .dll container for applications icons.

But now I'm working under Mars Notebook 1.5 so next Mars Installer will be in 1-2 months...