Mars Installer 1.5 - automatic software installation

Marsianin

Maybe the ability to check/uncheck an entire category with a checkbox on the category tree ?

Instead of having to check/uncheck each category item from the list individually.

Does that make sense ?

Thaks

Very nice looking program Marsianin. Two thing I would like to see:

1. Conditional Formating

Example:

Two programs are included WMP11.exe and WMP11Plugins.exe

Windows WMP11Plugins.exe is Enabled=0 by default. If WMP11.exe is checked for installation then WMP11Plugins.exe is Enabled=1 and available to check for installation also.

2. The 'marsinst.exe /admin' functional implemented

Maybe the ability to check/uncheck an entire category with a checkbox on the category tree ?

Yeah, I'm thinking about it already :yes:

Very nice looking program Marsianin. Two thing I would like to see:

1. Conditional Formating

Example:

Two programs are included WMP11.exe and WMP11Plugins.exe

Windows WMP11Plugins.exe is Enabled=0 by default. If WMP11.exe is checked for installation then WMP11Plugins.exe is Enabled=1 and available to check for installation also.

This planned too.

2. The 'marsinst.exe /admin' functional implemented

I think you want GUI instead of editing .ini file. I understand and want to implement it but have no time for. But sometime...

You can customize main window and tree colors (try to read comments in the included marsinst.ini file)

Icons for applications are not supported yet.

What else you want to customize?

Also you can change all strings (translate to another language).

Edited by Marsianin

Is it possible to run an executable (.exe) file from the root of C: drive ?

Their does'nt appear to be a variable to allow me to do this or am i wrong ?

Cheer's

Edited by ironside

Is it possible to run an executable (.exe) file from the root of C: drive ?

Their does'nt appear to be a variable to allow me to do this or am i wrong ?

Yeah man, you can run it from where you want. It needs nothing to run, just marsinst.ini which must be with the same location as .exe (if no command line switch used for alternate .ini)

I'll try this out.

Does this slipstream it to an WinXP CD (I suppose)?

It was made for it ;)

There are a lot of ways to slipstream it. The easiest one is to put it into $OEM$ folder and run from cmdlines.txt (it will start at T-13 so some progs may not install at this step, like .NET Framework) but much better to put it, for example, to $OEM$\$$\Install\ and run from [GuiRunOnce] at WINNT.SIF directly from HDD (will appear in C:\WINDOWS\Install\marsinst.exe).

I think you misunderstood me,

What i'm trying to do is run marsinst.exe from CD, no problem, but i need to run an installer which must be ran from the root of the installation drive, Which will be, more than likely, C: drive or whichever drive/partition the OS is installeed to.

Example:

In RunOnceEx i would have used:

"%SystemDrive%\installer.exe"

Obvioulsly that does'nt work in marsinst.ini as it does'nt reconise it as a valid varible.

So therefore:

Run1="%SystemDrive%\installer.exe"

Will not work.

Your help is appreciated, Thank you

Are you trying to run Mars Installer from marsinst.ini ??? :thumbup

And all available variables described in marsinst.ini file.

You can use %BDRV% which will represent boot drive letter from where marsinst.exe was started (will be C:\ if marsinst.exe in the root of C: drive)

But I will add %SYSTEMDRIVE% in the next version.

Edited by Marsianin

@Marsianin

I came across your prog this morning and I've just spent an hour playing with it.

I'm a long time WPI user, however, since I primarily use Linux now I'm finding it hard to populate a full screen of apps for Windows. So here's where Mars Installer comes in, it's small, easy to configure and looks good... just what I need.

There are a few things missing though (or I've just missed them) that I'd like you to concider:

1. Dependency checks - In situation were a program is dependant of another, if the parent program is unchecked so is the child and visa-versa. e.g. If Paint.NET is checked it automatically checks .NET Framework and if .NET Framework is unchecked so is Paint.NET.

2. Grey conditions - If a program is already installed it is disabled from re-installation. Easiest way to do this would be to add a checking system e.g if exists %programfiles%\MyProg\MyProg.exe.

Apart from these few things I think it's an excellent prog.

-kof94

One other thing... Why is your site black listed by Google as containing malware? :unsure:

Edited by kof94

1. Dependency checks - In situation were a program is dependant of another, if the parent program is unchecked so is the child and visa-versa. e.g. If Paint.NET is checked it automatically checks .NET Framework and if .NET Framework is unchecked so is Paint.NET.

As I mentioned above it will be implemented...

2. Grey conditions - If a program is already installed it is disabled from re-installation. Easiest way to do this would be to add a checking system e.g if exists %programfiles%\MyProg\MyProg.exe.

Not sure about this. This program usually for the clean system installation but I will think about it.

One other thing... Why is your site black listed by Google as containing malware? :unsure:

What a hell. One time some program on my system stolen my website FTP password from Total Commander and someone put an exploit to my website. It was there for 1-2 days. So now google thinks it's a bad site :( I didn't know about it. Thanks.

And that software was a normal program (I think it was Russian Internet Download Accelerator) because I'm not a newbie and I have NOD32 and never using IE.

As I mentioned above it will be implemented...

Obviously missed it, great.

Not sure about this. This program usually for the clean system installation but I will think about it.

I would urge you to consider it. Writing scripts for each app to check if it's already installed could get tedious and I'm sure others would find it useful as well.

What a hell. One time some program on my system stolen my website FTP password from Total Commander and someone put an exploit to my website. It was there for 1-2 days. So now google thinks it's a bad site :( I didn't know about it. Thanks.

And that software was a normal program (I think it was Russian Internet Download Accelerator) because I'm not a newbie and I have NOD32 and never using IE.

At least you now.

Edited by kof94