First time trying out vLite and have a bunch of questions

Nazgulled

Hi,

first all, this my first post on this forum, I just registered cause of vLite-- want to use it and have a few questions before I do it but I hope to come back here more times cause it seems a nice forum ;)

Anyway, my questions:

1) About components removal, if I select everything but SideShow (just an example), what would happen to the shortcut on the Start menu and most importantly to the shortcut and icon in the control panel? Would they still be there? If yes, what would happen when I click it? Once again with special interest in the control panel one. What about some other components? There's probably a bunch of references in the system to this and that and we are removing stuff that is supposedly to get installed, what will happen to this references? Will the system output errors or something like that?

2) I really want don't want to select a bunch of components as I barely use them, for instance, Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker (or something like that), I don't use them for the time being. But what if I want to use them later on, is this possible at all, to add them back in or there's no way to do it besides reinstalling everything?

I believe I had a few more questions but I can't remember them right now...

Edited by Nazgulled

Welcome to the forums.

1. start menu shortcuts will be removed with the appropriate component while those in the Control Panel are more tricky. They will be removed but those new text links on the left will not be cleaned so they will either popup missing file or simply nothing.

It's not much of a deal since they are not intrusive like normal Control Panel icons which are removed with the components.

2. no, components can not be (easily, or with vlite) returned. That's why you can use full Vista for a few months and on every next reinstall remove stuff which you saw as not needed. On the other hand I go with another approach...I remove all and see what I'm missing.

If you try it I recommend leaving Application Experience.

I didn't get it...

Application Experience is a component you can remove using vLite. It appears not to be needed if you use recent software but atm some stuff you'll expect to work (which registers ocx, tlb files etc.) will not - I hope that'll change in the future.

So, nuhi's saying it's best to keep it.