SLI problems

careless_hxuk

I just bought a new GeForce 7600GT to go with my old one and run as a SLI thing because I figured that would be cheaper than replacing the card entirely, which it was so that was good. Surprisingly ( :rolleyes: ) it didn't all run smoothly.

Got everything installed properly, started up, uninstalled the drivers, downloaded new drivers (version 94.24), reinstalled drivers and rebooted. The thing detected the cards correctly and popped up the message 'this system is set up correctly to use SLI, click here to activate SLI'. Clicking on that takes me to the NVIDIA control panel thing, I select 'activate SLI' and hit ok.

Now comes the problem. Any time I now try to get to the NVIDIA control panel, I get blue screen of death (apparently a problem with nv4_mini.sys). This happens whenever I try to access the NVIDIA control panel, bo matter what I click on to get there. Also, when I load a game (Oblivion, Battlefield 2 were the ones I tried here), the screen starts flickering, very quickly, alternating between (as far as I can tell) the correct image and a blank red screen.

I thought perhaps this was a problem with the drivers so I uninstalled them and reinstalled the older drivers (version 93.71). Now the graphics look slightly better but still wrong - instead of flickering, there is now a noticeable fringe of blocky redness around some shapes. The NVIDIA control panel still kills the system, too.

A couple of things to note:

* The cards are not of the same manufacturer

* I also installed a new RAM module at the same time

On the advice of someone on another board, I'm going to swap the cards over and see if that rectifies the problem. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

its surely of nvidia drivers problem. that nv4 dump error occurs while having problem with drivers. do one thing, install any of your old nvidia drivers and try if possible...also search google for your error. this is a known error so u will find many results on google.:)

AMIT

I suspect it was a firmware (NVIDIA BIOS) issue between the older and newer cards. The new card has a newer NVIDIA BIOS than your older card. It was probably arguing with the older card in the primary slot. When you switched the new card to the primary slot it became the "master" (so to speak) so the newer NVIDIA BIOS took over.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I suspect it was a firmware (NVIDIA BIOS) issue between the older and newer cards. The new card has a newer NVIDIA BIOS than your older card. It was probably arguing with the older card in the primary slot. When you switched the new card to the primary slot it became the "master" (so to speak) so the newer NVIDIA BIOS took over.

odd then that it works with the *older* card in the primary slot...

(not saying you're wrong, just that it seems odd)

Or maybe it's not odd, for some archaic technical reason that I wouldn't understand :P